Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 26th, 2011 02:00

XPS 15z construction problems....

hi

i own a dell xps 15z for 2 weeks now, and i am quite happy wth it except for two concerns about solidity...

first, the little chrome metal thingy going all around the pc is tingly at some points...   doesnt seem like it will last very long. 

and second: the plastic around the screen isn't glued well at some points:  i can see the glue and the plastic getting separated from the screen...

anyone have the same issue? does this come into warranty?

1 Message

September 29th, 2011 20:00

I would be extremely wary of getting it fixed by Dell. My screen was faulty so I had it replaced. However, the Dell technician couldn't open up my laptop and ended up cracking the chrome trim around the edge as well as cutting his finger. When I questioned him he said it couldn't be replaced so I called up Dell and complained and they agreed to replace the part. If I had known it would be so much trouble I probably wouldn't have bothered.

The chrome trim is actually part of the palm rest so that whole part had to be replaced. He had to take EVERYTHING apart just to replace the trim and in the end he couldn't even do it probably. The chrome trim still doesn't fit properly over the laptop, but it has stopped moving and appears to be slightly less flimsy. I would complain again but I don't want another Dell technician breaking something else on my laptop. So that's something to keep in mind when you want to get something fixed.

14 Posts

October 21st, 2011 04:00

Just in regards to the overheating issue, a workaround I do when I play games is "turn off battery charging until next reboot". To me it still gets hot but not hot enough to shutdown (i had it overheating so bad previously, that the power shutoff). Also upgrade to the A05 bios which has new temperature algorithms/thresholds to prevent overheating.

I am also a first time buyer and my battery/mobo/power supply died with 2.5 months of use. I also baby my laptop around and the flimsy chrome trim is about to fall off. It rattles if I shake the laptop.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2011 16:00

Yeah my chrome trim has come off and I would like to know what I can do it

3 Posts

November 10th, 2011 07:00

Same problem for me.  On the right side of the touch pad where my wrist sits.  The loose trim has split and cuts into my wrist.  I'm going to put a piece of clear tape on it.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2011 07:00

Same problems here. Laptop less than a month old, screen surround coming loose, chrome trim dodgy in multiple places and as mentioned in other posts problems with the trackpad. Shame on you Dell, the build quality on this premium laptop is appalling and I now realise I am not alone with these issues.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2011 17:00

Beginning to wonder if it isn't windows 7 messing up with the wandering cursor problem. I was very careful to not touch the track pad at all while typing and the cursor still flipped up into a previous sentence several times. I just got my 15z back from "the Depot" and I left a message to look into this problem. Still not fixed.

February 9th, 2012 15:00

I have similar issues with the chrome trim.  Here is what mine is starting to look like:

http://imgur.com/a/Gogvp#0

The fracture actually had to be glued back down.  But now I'm thinking I might just rip it off so that I don't have to deal with it.

If you have any better ideas, answer here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120209145321AAdO2Ld

Thanks,
James Collier 

4 Posts

March 5th, 2014 08:00

Hello Terry B,

I am having the same construction defects in my dell xps 15z. The silver border started breaking apart even though the laptop has not gone through any rough handling. Also the sound suddenly disappeared. The sound device cannot be found. So skype, facechat, movies, music nothing is playing. Can you please help me where to buy a replacement silver border and also give me a solution for the sound device.

Thank you.

Nabila Aftab

P.S. You can contact me at <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

March 20th, 2014 09:00

Seems mad that you buy a premium laptop and then have to pay out for a poorly designed trim. I have had to have mine changed twice now as its clearly a design fault

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2014 10:00

Yes I know what you mean. I am so mad. Also my sound card has also stopped working. there goes my chances of selling my laptop. 

Anyhow could you please suggest me a website where you bought the trim?

TC.

No Events found!