Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

October 29th, 2008 16:00

XPS 1730 temperature and CPU clock issue.

Hello,

I have been reading the forums in search of something similar what happens recently to my dear XPS 1730. 

I did not found the topic exacly describing the issue(proper temperatures) so here it goes: 

Spec: 1730, CPU 2.5, GPU 2x8800, 4gb - A09, Vista updt on.I have tried many different drivers.

I noticed it recently just after trying Sacred2. After couple of minutes CPU clock drops down to something between 200 and 300. In the same time it causes freeze. It holds that state for couple of minutes and after that it goes up again - LOOP. It happened once that during the freeze XPS just shut down and while booting said it was due to high temperature. The tempereture was not that high thou, something between positions below.

I thought it is the temperature. here are some samples. Let me know if this is not normall or also if you have similar numbers please.

CPU       GPU1       GPU2

Idle(now) 

52         80           83

Sacred2 at max

71        91           94

I am not sure if the temperature is high enough to shut down (what is the shut down lvl?). Still I am using Everest to measure temperature and I am not sure how accurate it is. Also it might be due to latest updates like bios or vista(does hardware lowers CPU clock? maybe Vista does?). Basic bios test did not found anything wrong so I am on my way to try extended one.

Any help welcome. 

(54/81/82 now)

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

October 29th, 2008 21:00

The CPU temps are way too high, and are in the area when shutdown could occur. Should be in the 40-50°C range at idle.

Is the CPU fan running at all? If you can't tell, download I8kfangui, a free tool to monitor and control temps. The program will probably see all the temp sensors, but may not read the fan speed. The program has not been updated for a while. I think you need the extended diagnostics to evaluate the fan.

Hopefully it's the fan, which is easier than the system board.

No Events found!