Highlighted
asdfpoui
1 Nickel

XPS 9550 Speed Shift - when will Dell enable via BIOS update?

Jump to solution

When will Dell enable Intel Speed Shift via a BIOS update? All the BIOS update requires is requires is writing 1 to MSR 0x770!

Speed Shift was fully supported by Intel and Microsoft in 2015 (1 year ago!). It makes the CPU much more responsive (particularly in gaming and real-time tasks) and costs nothing.

In the meantime, anyone can run software manually to enable Speed Shift but you need to relaunch the software every time your computer sleeps or turns off, so that is inconvenient. But the boost in performance is worth the effort.

I have manually enabled SpeedShift via software such as ThrottleStop or just writing 1 to MSR 0x770.

Dell - can you get Speed Shift into the next BIOS revision?!?!

25 Replies
Ar0ndight
1 Copper

RE: XPS 9550 Speed Shift - when will Dell enable via BIOS update?

Jump to solution

Such a shame that a premium workstation doesn't even use some basic skylake features. Dell please fix this.

GoNz0
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Come on Dell, we can enable this with software manually per boot but without the bios support we are stuffed for a permanent solution

MosGuy
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I concur, being Dells flagship model, it seems limiting the feature wouldn't be implemented when the cpu and windows have full support. It could be added as a toggle option in the BIOS for those that would make use of it.

I hope this thread can be shown to the senior engineers and have the functionality enabled in a future BIOS update.

Torben75
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I wonder why they told me in April that the feature IS supported but just not showing up right in HWInfo64 and a future BIOS will cover that. Now it seems not to be supported at all.

I am not feeling well with that kind of support...

custom90gt
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I would also like to see speed shift enabled in my $1,400 laptop.  It would be great for me to know that Dell cares about their customers.  

choikugi
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also really need this feature on my xps9550 and this is very easy to implement it

goodwinc
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Please enable SST in net bios build!!!

Jump to solution

This would be very much appreciated!

Jump to solution

Yeah! Please Dell!!!