Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2016 11:00

XPS 9550 Speed Shift - when will Dell enable via BIOS update?

When will Dell enable Intel Speed Shift via a BIOS update? All the BIOS update requires is requires is writing 1 to MSR 0x770!

Speed Shift was fully supported by Intel and Microsoft in 2015 (1 year ago!). It makes the CPU much more responsive (particularly in gaming and real-time tasks) and costs nothing.

In the meantime, anyone can run software manually to enable Speed Shift but you need to relaunch the software every time your computer sleeps or turns off, so that is inconvenient. But the boost in performance is worth the effort.

I have manually enabled SpeedShift via software such as ThrottleStop or just writing 1 to MSR 0x770.

Dell - can you get Speed Shift into the next BIOS revision?!?!

16 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

Justin C from the Dell Support team just informed us that Dell Engineering will NOT enable Intel SpeedShift on the XPS 9550 or 9560.

en.community.dell.com/.../20007733

Fortunately, there are a few easy ways of enabling SpeedShift. Althought a simple BIOS switch would be the easiest of all. A simple introduction is at this link:

forum.notebookreview.com/.../

1 Message

October 14th, 2016 12:00

Such a shame that a premium workstation doesn't even use some basic skylake features. Dell please fix this.

102 Posts

October 14th, 2016 13:00

Come on Dell, we can enable this with software manually per boot but without the bios support we are stuffed for a permanent solution

19 Posts

October 15th, 2016 03:00

I concur, being Dells flagship model, it seems limiting the feature wouldn't be implemented when the cpu and windows have full support. It could be added as a toggle option in the BIOS for those that would make use of it.

I hope this thread can be shown to the senior engineers and have the functionality enabled in a future BIOS update.

6 Posts

October 15th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

I wonder why they told me in April that the feature IS supported but just not showing up right in HWInfo64 and a future BIOS will cover that. Now it seems not to be supported at all.

I am not feeling well with that kind of support...

53 Posts

October 15th, 2016 11:00

I would also like to see speed shift enabled in my $1,400 laptop.  It would be great for me to know that Dell cares about their customers.  

1 Message

October 15th, 2016 13:00

I also really need this feature on my xps9550 and this is very easy to implement it

18 Posts

October 15th, 2016 14:00

Please enable SST in net bios build!!!

October 16th, 2016 15:00

This would be very much appreciated!

4 Posts

October 16th, 2016 17:00

Agreed, would be nice to have the option.

October 16th, 2016 17:00

Yeah! Please Dell!!!

9 Posts

October 17th, 2016 05:00

Is it enabled in the BIOS og the 9360?

October 17th, 2016 19:00

Hey, in case anyone wants a work around I created a guide on how to automatically enable SST after startup, or sleep.

Tested and working on my 9550, let me know if you encounter any problems

gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Automatically-Enable-ad9c2208

16 Posts

October 18th, 2016 10:00

By the way, Speed Shift has a nifty option built in called Energy Performance Preference (EPP). Once Speed Shift is enabled, you can set EPP between "max performance" and "energy savings."  I would guess most systems would come from Dell (and others) with an EPP set for "medium" performance.

Simply writing to MSR 0x770 does not allow one to change EPP settings.

- ThrottleStop 8.3x provides direct access to EPP settings in the window labeled "Turbo Power Limits". That is the easiest workaround until Dell "updates" the BIOS

- I tried changing the EPP to "max performance" (EPP=0) via powercfg (and via an edited control panel>hardware and sound.power options...); both display updated "dummy" variables but don't actually execute any changes. So presumably EPP changes require writing to  MSR_HWP_REQUEST (MSR 0x774)

Setting EPP to 255 makes the system super laggy. Setting EPP to 0 makes the system significantly more snappy than it was without Speed Shift (or with Speed Shift enabled and EPP simply set at factory "medium" performance).

October 19th, 2016 03:00

Good question. Any word from the lovely Dell Support peoples?

No Events found!