Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

21 Posts

June 4th, 2017 17:00

While Intel has released a new driver 15.45.19.4678, I'm going to try that out

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

4 Posts

June 5th, 2017 18:00

For the people that experience flickering; can you reliably reproduce it?

Every time I restarted the device upon logon it would flicker for a minute or two. Looking at the System event log in Event Viewer the Intel driver kept crashing and recovering (the flicker being the symptom).

Similarly putting the computer to sleep, waiting a minute, then waking it would trigger the driver crash/flicker.

I exited PremierColor and the problem went away. No more flickering and driver crashes being reported in Event Viewer. I uninstalled it and haven't seen flickering anymore (just over one day).

I'll report back if I see anything.

Unrelated but maybe related. A few hours after confirming this I also switched by BIOS drive mode from RAID to AHCI and uninstalled the IRST software - I was getting errors relating to a specific executable crashing (can't recall the name sorry) which related to an Intel Health Checker or something.

3 Posts

June 6th, 2017 04:00

@aslanr: Sorry, the link you've posted is incorrect (404 not found). So you also have very less flickering with your 13 inch.. so 15 seems to flicker more often.. but why?

21 Posts

June 6th, 2017 07:00

I've got 0 flickering with the latest Intel 15.45.19.4678 for 2 days, hopefully i can last long

46 Posts

June 6th, 2017 10:00

@RickyGao

It will probably last. I have had 0 flickering for more than a month since the clean uninstall of the intel and nvidia drivers using the display driver uninstaller and installing the generic drivers (intel version .4664) with the process described earlier in the forum. I cannot understand thought why the same solution apparently doesn't work for everyone since the problem seems to be exactly the same.....

8 Posts

June 6th, 2017 10:00

I contacted Dell through Facebook and they send almost immediate responses. They called me yesterday and reinstalled my Intel driver like most people have reported on here. Barcodes no longer flicker on my screen but a brief, subtle black flash happens every couple of hours or so. I might just spam their messanger app with links to this thread.

Personally, I can live with this flicker. I've been looking further into this issue and maybe it's not entirely Dell's fault? Other brands of laptops have reported barcode & screen flickers because of how Windows 10 and Intel drivers conflict with each other. I told the representative about that and he said Dell is aware of it and they're "working on" correcting it.

10 Posts

June 6th, 2017 11:00

@Xilef33 I put link again en.community.dell.com/.../21000990

I have rarely flicker but i don't know if it can increase in future. Because of that i will return product. Happy for guys who solved their problem.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2017 22:00

what do you mean by barcode flickers?

8 Posts

June 6th, 2017 22:00

@Fredskis

www.youtube.com/watch

Mine was similar to this, but not as bad

8 Posts

June 8th, 2017 04:00

Just to update, after following the suggestions on here (thanks to all those helpful users) and installing intel version .4664. I have had zero screen flickers, or barcode type flickers for 1 month, and I have been using the laptop extensively. For anyone else having a problem with windows 10 automatically installing the dell driver over the .4664 driver, the only thing that prevented this for me was to go into Device Manager and to click on the Intel driver properties under the display adapters. Then Roll Back the driver. This was only method that prevented windows 10 from automatically reverting to a different driver, so I suggest people check their driver versions to ensure your drivers have not been automatically changed, and do this method if it has, but ensuring to also follow the instructions on the previous pages. Hopefully you get rid of this annoying flicker once and for all.

6 Posts

June 12th, 2017 08:00

I have been running .4664 since it's release and no longer experience any flicker or barcodes.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2017 15:00

I'm running the Dell 9350 with the QHD screen and have been having exactly the same problems reported here for several months. It's peaked with flashing bars like a zebra crossing pulsating at the bottom 1cm of the screen and almost strobing at times. This is interspersed with black flickers every couple of minutes. So intermittent though. Sometimes it's fine! No change with moving the screen or giving it a tap.

Anyway, good news. I also have just updated the Dell graphics driver to 20.19.15.4531 and (touchwood) have gone into remission. If it will not let you update the driver (sometimes it can say you already have the latest driver when in fact you do not), download directly from intel here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2DJGM

Download the file and change the file extension from .exe to .zip, extract it into a folder.

Go to device manager -> display adaptors

right click the intel graphics card and update driver

select browse my computer then let me pick from a list

select 'have disk'

navigate to your extracted folder, select the graphics folder then ki118775.inf

okay okay okay

all done. Hope this works for others. and i hope it lasts for me!!

3 Posts

June 13th, 2017 12:00

I sent my laptop to Dell last week, and got it back today. They have replaced the whole top assembly. To my great pleasure, the flicker has vanished. In addition, Dell provided exceptional service and support, in fact, the best hat I've ever encountered.

My advice is to stop trying drivers and instead send the unit to service. At least my warranty for the 9350 is valid until 2018, hopefully for you other owners also.

Good luck!

6 Posts

June 15th, 2017 12:00

Following the instructions found in this thread, I installed the latest Intel Graphics driver. Once this was done, Windows decided to install a driver from December 2016 and I had to roll back the driver to get the latest driver back. Now I have the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers and have had zero flicker for 4 days.

11 Posts

June 19th, 2017 23:00

I have the same model with the same issue.

No Events found!