Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 12th, 2016 07:00

XPS L501X no screen after bios update freeze

hello I just update the bios on a L501x laptop  after 20 minutes waiting the screen was frozen no mouse movement

is there a way to recover since when I power on I see a black screen but fan spinning ?

Tanks

2K Posts

June 12th, 2016 09:00

Hi KERM007,

Was there any issue on the system, that you had to update the BIOS? Do you see any leds come on at all? Do you see the Dell logo on the first screen? Does the system stay on when you press the power button?

Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Try the onboard diags - press and hold fn key + power button to turn on the system - it should initiate the diags - check for any possible beeps - this could help isolate the issue.

Connect with an external monitor and check if any display is seen.

Download the service manual - http://dell.to/1Rw7vpz and remove / reseat the memory modules and test the system.

If nothing works, I am afraid the motherboard might have failed.

Assuming there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ 

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

96 Posts

June 12th, 2016 11:00

the system was freezing so I though it will be a good start to update the bios

I see light coming on but no dell logo wireless on, all dell logo on fan spinning etc...

I will test out with external screen.is there maybe a way to reset remove cmos etc...

not under warranty anymore

2K Posts

June 12th, 2016 13:00

Hi KERM007,

Thank you for the update.

Please try all steps as mentioned in my previous post.

Download the service manual - link in previous post - and see page 37 on how to remove / reseat the CMOS battery.

If nothing goes, then I would suspect the motherboard.

96 Posts

June 19th, 2016 09:00

hello no display with the external hdmi connector and no fan spinning

but if I remove battery and power hold the end button 3 sec and plug power plus release the end key I get fan spinning

I diod a usb crisis recovery usb from now I got to boot from the usb maybethe key combinasion is not the right one do you know anything about this ?

Thanks

2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 13:00

Hi KERM007,

Does the system boot into windows now?

Which "end" key are you referring to? And what key combination are you referring to? Would you be able to post a picture depicting your reference? Or could you perhaps upload a video on YouTube and post me the link for a review?

Keep us updated.

96 Posts

June 19th, 2016 13:00

no boot at all

on the keyboard there a end key if you unplug everything and hold the end key for 3 sec and plug the power and rerelease the key the fan will start spinning ... I read a lot f place they can put the laptop in bios recovery from usb stick some are saying the end key some other fn+b

Thanks

2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 18:00

Hi KERM007,

I have searched various forums but could not find any such behavior with the end key. As per Dell machines, we can only power on the machine using the fn key or the D key - to initiate the diagnostics or the lcd test - see this article - http://dell.to/1UEYCQB 

We can help you update the BIOS through a bootable USB - provided you are able to to see the Dell logo and go to f12 boot menu. If you are able to do this, then let us know and I can provide the required steps.

Keep us updated.

96 Posts

June 26th, 2016 06:00

Hello

I found this step

http://hardware.forumsee.com/a/m/s/p12-38104-0399971--bios-recovery-with-crisdisk-and-dell-l501x.html

And this also

another document that say use the end button

like I said when I old the end 3 sec and plug power + release the key the fan spin other than that no spin etc...

and payer 200 for a motherboard is more of the value of the laptop for a 5 year old laptop

Thanks

2K Posts

June 26th, 2016 11:00

Hi KERM007,

I have checked the relevant links and there is only a question posted and no responses have been given to the same.

As advised earlier, the only key combinations that is possible to turn on a system is fn key + power button to initiate diags and D key + power button to initiate LCD test.

If the system goes past the Dell logo, we can help provide the steps to flash the BIOS using a bootable USB. However, it is required that the system powers on and goes to Dell logo and the f12 boot menu is accessible.

The motherboard certainly is the expensive part of the laptop as it is the base component. My personal suggestion is that you invest your money on a new system than to repair an outdated machine.

96 Posts

June 26th, 2016 14:00

Hello

on ultime effort to bring back the laptop to life I found this

https://blog.jmwhite.co.uk/2015/08/09/dell-xps-9530-uefi-bios-recovery/

I did it and I was able to get the dell logo I'm at the 06 bios level

and my computer still freezw in windows should I update the bios and how from the dell logo without breaking everything again :-) imabout to reformat but I don't have the dell windows 7 home premium cd iso

Thanks helping

Pete

96 Posts

June 26th, 2016 15:00

hello

have you ever see this procedure before it's like magic :-)

I will do so extentive test on hdd etc.. also with Ubuntu no freeze can you get me an iso of the dell home premium ?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 26th, 2016 15:00

Absolutely DO NOT update the BIOS until the freezing problem is solved.

If you have not run a full system diagnostic (F12 at powerup), that's next.  If that doesn't turn up a fault code,

Is the system running abnormally not?  It may be due for some internal maintenance - remove the heatsinks and clean them thoroughly, and replace the thermal pads under them.  They do dry out with time - and this system is a few years old.

If the system isn't running abnormally not, it may be you have a faulty hard drive  -- the one in the system is near or past its expected design life.  Run the extended drive diagnostic.

Be sure you have all external devices unplugged when you run the diagnostics.

2K Posts

June 26th, 2016 19:00

Hi Pete,

I shall review the link you have provided with our teams. Rather interesting insight that you have managed to find and this might help other expired warranty customers.

Please do not update the BIOS at this point as per advise of ejn63. Run the onboard diags and check for any possible errors. If the system overheats, then you can clean the airvents and fan assembly with a small vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air. Resort to updating the BIOS as the last point, should you continue facing problems on this machine.

As there is no warranty, you could contact our team and order the Dell OEM media here - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

No Events found!