Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2013 06:00

XPS M1530 - Keyboard not working.

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have an XPS M1530, and recently the keyboard just stopped working. I have checked the connections and everything seems fine. I have tried restoring the computer to an earlier point in case it was a hardware issue relating to a windows update or something similar - still nothing.

Virus scans are also showing the all clear.

The problem is this:

When I boot the laptop, the keyboard doesn't work at all. In order to get the keyboard functioning, I have to start the on screen keyboard and simultaneously hit the right CTRL button on screen, and the right CTRL button on my keyboard - how many times I have to hit the keys varies from about 20 secs to a minute. Weird, I know - but the only way I've found to get the keyboard to work. After it starts working, its absolutely fine and runs like normal until the laptop is restarted and then I have to repeat the key bashing. EXTREMELY frustrating!!!

Can anyone help with fixing this? Will a new keyboard fix the problem? I'm guessing it goes deeper than that.

This is myl ast resort before taking it in for repair (just dont want to spend loads of money that I dont have if theres an easier way!)

Thank you in advance.

3.1K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi HBoz,

Let's try the following steps. 

Uninstall the drivers from Device Manager:

• Click on Start
  • Right click on Computer -> click on Properties
  • Click on Device Manager
  • Expand ‘Keyboard'
  • Right click -> choose ‘Uninstall’
  • Restart the computer.

Alternatively, try the following steps and check if it works:

Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use and uncheck all the options. Click on ‘Apply’ -> Ok. Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 14:00

Hi!

Thank you for your ideas - I've tried both, but the problem persists unfortunately.... :emotion-6:

Any other ideas?

3.1K Posts

January 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi HBoz,

Thank you for the response. Let’s try the following steps and check if it works:

Check the on screen keyboard:

• Click ‘Start’
  • Type ‘on screen keyboard’ without the parenthesis, click ‘On screen keyboard’
  • Use the keyboard and check if you face the same issue

Alternatively, change the keyboard layout settings:

• Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window
  • Type ‘intl.cpl’ without the parenthesis,click 'Ok'
  • Click on the ‘Keyboards and Language tab’, click ‘Change keyboards’
  • Under ‘Default input language’, ensure that ‘English (United States)- US’ is selected
  • Under ‘Installed Services’, remove all the language options you are able to see (to remove the language, highlight the language and click on remove)
  • Click ‘Add’
  • Expand the language ‘English’
  • Expand ‘Keyboard’ list, select the ‘United States-International’, check the box, and then click ‘OK’

I would also recommend you to check in safe mode:

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times
  • This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select)
  • When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the keyboard responds properly

You can click on the link for more information: http://dell.to/SydjSf 

Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

August 21st, 2014 06:00

Could you explain what to do if the onscreen keyboard is working, but the laptop keyboard is not?  This is happening to my XPS. 

No Events found!