Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2014 11:00

XPS M1530 laptop won't boot

I purchased this laptop from Dell  in 2008.  It is running Vista Ultimate.

When I press the power button, I can hear the fans whirling, but the screen remains black.

The laptop does not complete the POST (screen remains black). 

I tried the FN key and power button and it looks like the hard drive is working (led light is flashing), but the screen remains black.  I had a somewhat successful ePSA once before, but it powered off in the middle of it.

I have also tried the D and power button to run the LCD BIST.

I was able to boot into the computer running the LCD BIST one time, and I tried to prepare the computer so I could use PCmover to copy everything to a new PC.  However, once the laptop went into sleep mode, it did not come back.

Now I have tried numerous times using the D+Power and FN+Power, to no avail.  Are there any other testing methods I could use or shortcuts to boot?

I appreciate any replies.  Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 12th, 2014 12:00

Try a system reset (remove the battery, unplug, hold power button for 30 sec., remove and reinstall both memory modules).  Verify that the LED on the AC adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, the adapter is bad.

If the adapter checks out OK, try powering up (no battery).

If it will, but won't with the battery, the battery is toast.

If it won't power up, you likely have a bad system board.

4 Posts

January 12th, 2014 13:00

Well, friend, it sounds like you are likely to be the victim of the defective batch / es of Nvidia gpu. Just "Bing" or "Google" such problem. We are part of the class of victims (many computer manufacturers received and installed bad gpus-even Apple-and passed them on. You MAY be able (with enough support documentation) to prevail with Dell (I haven't been so lucky yet with my M1330) and have them fix / replace the mb for you. It also seems to be a design defect since the fix seems to fail after about the same duration. You might (as I have ) be able to do the old hair-dryer routine to "reflow" the soldered connections just long enough to save all your necessary files. There is a repair service, based in Joiliet, IL, that seems to have a reasonable fix for this ("reballing" the gpu). Again, along with any temp or long-term fix, you need to look into an additional source for cooling the chip!

You MAY wish to experiment by taking out the fan / heat-sink assembly, shim the heat-sink on the area directly on top of the Nvidia chip, reassemble with the appropriate heat-sink compound and turn on. NOTE: Take note of the order of screw down wings on the one chip! This is the one with the attached screw-down wings.

Again, it sure seems like the failed Nvidia chip. It may boot up fine one time, but then "go black" or white with vertical stripes, or "freeze screen" upon boot, or after being on for some time. The best case scenario is to make sure you have the best airflow possible when using this model, boot and backup as soon as possible. Then decide if you want to go to the trouble of backing up everything and ultimately buying a replacement!

Good luck. Please let us know if Dell is willing to do the right thing and take care of you. We all should have been taken care of, but they (and other manufacturers) knew of the problem and denied for the longest time and then silently extended the warranty. It seems you and I are just some of the hundreds of thousands this has happened to. For 

For that service in Joliet, IL search for "reballing M1330", "motherboard repair", etc. I'm am actually still looking to see if the replacement Intel, or other make

2 Posts

January 12th, 2014 13:00

Thank you for your quick reply!  After I posted this, I looked at the power supply.  I saw there is some wear on the plug.  I used electrical tape, but it needs to be tighter.  I think I need to replace the adapter.  My battery is old and it won't really hold a charge anymore (according to the pop up I get when I boot up).

Do you know if it is OK to use a Dell-compatible adapter and not the Dell OEM adapter?

Thanks again, for your help!

4 Posts

January 12th, 2014 14:00

OOPS! I wanted to FIRST suggest you connect an external display to this computer while you hear the sounds that have, in the past, confirmed the computer was booting up. If all appears okay on the external monitor, well you indeed have the problematic video chip / motherboard and may follow any of the suggested fixes you find through a "google" search. Any of the "cooking", reflowing, "baking", hair dryer methods are a "*** shoot" as they may or may not work at all , or for a short or long time.

4 Posts

The following is the link to the service which seems to have a great value on the service you most likely need--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-M1210-M1330-M1520-M1525-M1530-M1545-MOTHERBOARD-REPAIR-90DAY-WARRANTY-/171116958207

Again, with your description, if you hear mechanical movement, you most likely have the correct power needed to run your machine. The key description is that you have this SUDDEN issue. The truth of the matter is it is a bad chip design / build. In addition it is a bad computer design in that the cooling doesn't reach the components which are prone to heating and over-heating!  This extreme heating and subsequent cooling stress the soldered connections and create what are termed "cold-solder" connections--i.e. on-again, off-again connections. multiple connections

4 Posts

1-Again, if you hear a "power-up" you're getting the correct power to the machine.

2-Though it's always nice to have a "fresh" battery, once it is plugged in, your computer doesn't

care that it is running off battery power or the correct current provided through the adapter ! ! !

3-If it does boot up okay, immediately put a small high-velocity fan on it (into the grill nearest the chips)

and / or tip the machine so the original fan is pointed toward the ceiling:this keeps the hotter air from

heating the chip and causing failure--for at least a while more. If this extends time-to-failure then it is most

assuredly the nvidia chip issue and you should include all such details in your frequent and friendly

communications with Dell as you plead your case!

No Events found!