Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

5 Posts

November 8th, 2007 11:00

XPS M1730 SLI problems

My shiny new 1730 locks up tighter than a drum soon after I enable SLI mode.. I hadn't ready any complaints so I presumed I was unlucky and had a faulty unit..

After speaking to XPS Support, they tell me this is a known issue and I should run the system with SLI disabled until replacement drivers are available..

Can't say I'm thrilled, as the main reason I bought the 1730 was because of SLI..

I'm a little nervous too,  no time frame was given for the drivers..

Has anyone else had the same SLI issues??????? 

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 18:00

thank you i just got finished downloading the files from that thread

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 18:00

Has any tried the 167.51 drivers from nvidia?

6 Posts

March 31st, 2008 08:00

Hi guys, first of all sorry for a long post.

I had exactly the same problems with my XPS 1730 for the past 6 month. Updating drivers, playing around with Nhancer has alleviated my problems with SLI performance issues although I still get a weak performance due to the fact that these 8700gt cards are just not powerful enough to get games like Crysis run smoothly even on medium settings.

Ok I went for bad GPUs hoping that half of what microsoft said about Dx10 was true, it's my fault really but what I really hate is that my 4000 usd + machine kept locking up every hour or so. At first I tried to reinstall Vista only to have my computer lock up during a vista installation.

I called Dell and they suggested that I do some diagnostics until the end of weekend since UK technical assistance doesn't work weekends? So I did, and I had my system lock up in every diagnostics trial (even a few lock ups in BIOS) without giving me any error messages.

After another call they sent out an engineer who replaced my HDD and GPUs only to find out that nothing has changed, so he called DELL technical assistance to ask about vista installation where they told him to switch off flash cache module and move to a pre-vista SATA RAID mode (not AHCI). That resolved an issue with vista installation and machine was stable for a few hours even with SLI enabled.

Unsatisfied however with having my machine running with some of its features off I tried to re-enable cache flash module only to get a BSOD on vista loading screen. Apparently the reason is that there are no AHCI drivers installed on the machine and instead of switching off that feature during installation what I really had to do was to preload drivers during vista installation (something that Dell experts know nothing about since I had to find that out by doing my own research)

What I have now is a system which is around 3-5 times more stable that what it was before (runs for hours without any lock ups). There's still one thing that concerns me however, my computer would lock-up on vista loading screen every four-five restarts or so. I'm not sure if there are some hardware issues that cause that and whether to press dell to replace my motherboard or just let it go... So if anyone else had similar issues with they computer I'd love to hear about that. Thanks. 

Message Edited by AlexeiB222 on 03-31-2008 10:26 AM

11 Posts

April 16th, 2008 00:00

Has anybody tried driver version 174.31

"Dell Rapid Driver Release

Performance Driver

The Performance Driver is a driver from the video card manufacturer that has been through a limited compatibility and stability testing by Dell on Dell platforms.

There may be more stable drivers, including the drivers originally shipped with your computer, available through the “Download Now” link on this page."

1 Message

May 20th, 2008 11:00

Help me! i can't Restore my XPS M1730(Vista home), ctrl+F11 not work, Please!

My email: vucuongvmc@yahoo.com, how do that?

No Events found!