Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 30th, 2008 06:00

XPS M2010 CPU's????

Does anyone know what CPU's will work in the M2010?  I know it's Intel Core Duo, and I'm running the stock 2.0 gig.  Since this is the first laptop that I've ever owned, I am wondering if they take the same CPU's that desktop models do?  I've got a E-6600 that I took out of my XPS 710, will this work?  I have the 06 BIOS update.  With that, will it run an E-8400?

Does anyone have the manual on how to replace it?  Can't find it in the manual.

1.6K Posts

December 30th, 2008 08:00

The M2010 uses a mobile Core 2 Duo, socket M.  The three fastest:  the T7200, T7400 and T7600.  You cannot use a desktop Core 2/Core2 Quad - i.e., Exxxx or Qxxxx CPU, nor can you use the newer Socket P mobiles (i.e., the Pxxxx and T7x00 with x=odd or above 6).

1 Message

December 30th, 2008 08:00

Urgent - Customer Service Process Severely Broken.

Not sure where to post this, but thought someone from Dell would want to know.  I have never experienced a more disorganized, frustrating customer service process than I have with Dell.  My computer crashed a few weeks ago.  I brought it to the Geeksquad for service.  The Geeksquad found a virus and needed to clean out my hard drive and reload everything.  I could not find my operating disks and called Dell two weeks ago to have them send me new ones.  I placed the order after being put on hold, disconnected and transferred for about an hour and 45 minutes.  I expected arrival (because of the holidays) within a week to 10 days, but nothing.  I called back and again was put on hold transferred to a department that took 5-10 minutes of information (most of which is already in my profile).   They then explained they do not handle this type of transaction and would need to send me to a different department.  I waited on hold another 20 minutes.  When the Hardware department picked up, I again gave 5-10 minutes worth of the same information.  Was then told that I needed to spend $129 to purchase a contract (because mine had expired). 

At this point, I objected and asked to speak to a manager.  I explained the situation from beginning to end to Mr. Ravi Mohanadas who told me he would send the cds free of charge.  Hallelujah! - - One point for customer service.   Ravi transferred me to another technician who put me on hold again.  As of this writing I am still on hold, but hopeful.

I am in the Customer Service field and would be jobless if my department functioned this way.  I truly hope Dell does not become another American Co tragedy story, but if is the norm in so far as customer service, it is inevitable.

101 Posts

December 30th, 2008 11:00

Thanks for the response.  However, it seems that all of the CPU's you listed are no longer available.  I will have to hunt deeper into my bag of tricks to try and find one left on someone's shelf somewhere.

1.6K Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

They are all out of production, but still available - expect the T7600 in particular to be very expensive - it's the terminal upgrade for your system and a host of others of the same age, so it's in greater demand than supply.  Prices are high as a result.

101 Posts

December 31st, 2008 08:00

This is hard to believe that all the CPU's for this computer are no longer in production.  And why won't it run something newer (T7700 or other)?

I just install the A06 BIOS update.  Will that make it work?  I know on my XPS 720, when I went from A05 to A06 it made the E8400 work, maybe this will do the same for this unit?

Maybe I should have gotten a XPS 1730.

No Events found!