Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2012 06:00

XPS loses connectivity?

HI,

Am using my XPS laptop as a UK mobile device - using it wireless - internet connectivity has just dropped out completely. Have checked the local signal (Netgear) and that is "excellent" but the XPS has stopped picking it up.

I think I know what has caused this - I had several browsers open last night and lost one. This has meant in the past that the router (which is fine in this instance) has got scrambled. I am guessing that my XPS wireless set-up has become scrambled therefore. But how do I re-set it - I don't even know how to access it?

Why do technicians never give us this information? They speed us through the fix then are gone. We are left feeling grateful but helpless when the problem reoccurs.

Any help appreciated.

I repeat - the local wireless signal is excellent but the XPS (also) says "limited" signal and "no connection" when I try to get online. The Dell auto-diagnostic says the signal is "excellent". This desktop  pc I am using for the forum is going through the same router (ethernet) and there is no problem. The laptop has been using the signal from this router but has stopped: reason unknown, solution unknown. It is Sunday [sigh] so there is no UK telephone support from Dell.

What's the use of a laptop if as soon as you are away from your desk, it stops working?

Please advise.

Thanks.

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

Thanks Rick, I restored to a month back: so far so good. No sign of a McAfee update but McA kept asking me to switch on 'SafeSite', which I think I did, I wonder if that was it?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kr236rk,

Do you have McAfee installed? If yes, try system restore to a day you had a connection. It seems that there was a McAfee update that has caused connection problems.

Rick

3.6K Posts

August 19th, 2012 09:00

Open IE>click on Tools tab>Make sure work offline is marked with a red X.If it is not,click on it.

EDIT: If this does not work try hard booting the router and modem.Unplug the modem first,then the router.Wait 60 seconds and plug them back in modem first(wait until the modem cycles and lights are lit),then plug in router.Signal should be picked up now.

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

Thanks,

Under which tab would I fing the red x please? I got as far as Tools then went to Connections.

The XPS troubleshooter is now telling me: "Wireless Network Connection doesn't have a valid IP". Whatever that means - the laptop or the router?

Can't switch off the router, it doesn't belong to me - someone else's desktop is plugged into it :-o

Might using an ethernet cable for the XPS get round this issue for me please?

Thanks again.

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

ps, have been using this Netgear wireless connection for about a year now & never had any trouble with it up until today.

512 Posts

As soon as I got connectivity back McAfee tried to do an Update: should I lose McAfee before I lose my connectivity again? I have used Avast in the past without too many worries?

Thanks.

193 Posts

August 19th, 2012 13:00

Troubleshoot -- don't guess!

Many times were this happens (i.e., Full signal strength, but not connecting to the internet), you or your router have lost internet signal briefly (i.e., brownout) and even through you got it back you lost internet connectivity.

You can try a number of things:

1) Go to an elevated command prompt and do and ipconfig /release /renew to restore the connection.

2) Reboot the machine - this essentially does the same thing. (this is the most common fixed to a dropped connection when signal is good)

3) Turn off the machine, turn off the router, turn off the modem, turn on the modem, turn on the router, turn on the machine (if the problem is related to the modem of the router, this will fix it.

4) If the problem if internet connectivity staying is not fixed, try the following:

* Delete and recreate the wireless profile (sometimes these get correct) -- Note: * this is the most common fix of intermittent wireless drops

* Update the driver.  If the drivers from the dell page don't work, try the intel site.  I have definitely seem where the intel drivers fix something that dell's don't.

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 13:00

Thanks,

How do you go to an elevated command prompt and do and ipconfig please?

I knew the router was ok because a desktop was running through it, something must have happened to the settings on my XPS?

It would be helpful to know what to look for on the XPS - with kind help I tried a lot of things under the IE tabs but I was more or less in the dark, despite some helpful guidance :)

August 19th, 2012 14:00

You should not hold it against techs for not walking you through every single keystroke they make. I have worked many types of IT jobs and many were jobs I was dispatched to and I had usually around 5 businesses that I had to go to and solve the issues that day. I was on a time schedule and if I held your hand and explained I would never get home, nor would you understand what I was even telling you.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to bash you b/c it is fine to make small talk with a customer but at the same time most of the companies I worked for would fire me for telling a customer how to fix something b/c it would cause them to lost your business. In a few very large hotels some idiot tech told the maintenance staff to unplug the switches when they had problems. Then I would have to travel 50 miles in bumper to bumper traffic b/c a idiot maintenance man unplugged the equipment and forgot to plug it back in.

At the same time I have a very hard time explaining IT stuff in layman's terms. You would not understand a word I said. For example in your case you could have a bad port on your modem with your wireless router plugs into (if that is your setup) or you could have an all in one modem and wireless router combo that is having a NIC go had on the WAN side causing severe latency or even causing tons of L3 packets to flood your outbound WAN connection or it the latency issue could cause 75% packet loss. Do you understand what all that means? What if it were a policed circuit and you maxed out your bandwidth, what would happen?

It is not as always easy to explain to a non-techie things like this. You also can't blame a tech for doing repeated tasks over and over and not be fast at it. If he/she were not fast at fixing the problem they probably would be out of work quickly.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kr236rk,

This was a recent update from McAfee. The board got swamoed with members not being able to connect.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 16:00

kr236rk,

Many mambers having issues, all had McAfee. Must have been an update that caused the connection problems. I'm sure McAfee released an update to correct this.

Take care,

Rick

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 16:00

Many thanks but cripes - at least I am back on line. I am away from my desktop and trying to use the laptop to submit  documents to a project then suddenly - nothing. I recognise a word here and there on how to check connectivity but not enough to make a difference. I rely on this laptop when I'm away from my desktop, consequently I have no paperwork to help me like tag numbers and stuff like that, that I am likely to be asked for, it's with the desktop, in a desk. Anyway, many thanks I have my connection back and have been able to tie up some lose ends, but if I knew what sent my connection down I could watch for it next time. But I don't. Or do I? Will it be in a log somewhere please?

512 Posts

August 19th, 2012 17:00

Thanks Rick. Thought I'd freaked my connection by opening too many browsers / uploading too much data, but it seems I am not to blame.

Thanks again! :)

No Events found!