Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

May 2nd, 2017 08:00

XPS15 9560 - Slow user account switching

I have a new XPS 15 9560. For some reason, switching user accounts is very slow. Both accounts are Microsoft user accounts. With both logged on, switching takes about 45 seconds. During this time the screen is black and the mouse pointer is active. I've updated the display driver but that made no difference. Any thoughts on what's happening here?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 08:00

Try creating a pair of local user accounts (separate from the Microsoft-validated ones).  Do they switch quickly?  If so, the problem is likely with the network connection or Microsoft's validation servers.  If not, it could be a system problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 09:00

Does the system have McAfee antivirus running?

19 Posts

Thanks. Before I try that, which I'd rather not do to avoid cluttering up my machine, here's a little more information. With both accounts logged on, the switching is guick from the Administrator account to the non-admin. The problem occurs when switching back to the Administrator account. Screen goes black and it takes almost a minute.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It may depend upon how much data is stored in the user profile - the more things there are on the desktop, the longer the switch will take to make.

19 Posts

It's a new computer so there's nothing on the desktop but the trash can. And it's empty. Also noticed that logging in to the Admin account is fast. It's only when switching to the Admin account when it's already logged in that the problem occurs. I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio laptop with the same account structure and it does not exhibit the problem despite being very slow and sluggish for most other things.

19 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

Yes, actually. It's the 30 day trial. Could that be causing the problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

Yes, indeed - it can.

19 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 15:00

Ok, I turned off McAfee to see if that helped and it made no difference. Perhaps uninstalling it would correct the problem but I'm not doing that on  a hunch. Why do you think McAfee may be causing the problem? Btw, it turns out it's a one year subscription, not 30 days.

This is a very strange problem. It literally takes a full minute with a black screen to switch accounts.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 16:00

Given all that McAfee loads on startup (per user), it's very possibly the cause (look at all the services that are tied to McAfee).

I would also strongly suggest verifying  that locally authenticated accounts do the same as Microsoft authenticated ones.  You can easily delete the test accounts once done.

19 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 15:00

Well, here's something strange. After exhibiting this problem consistently since I got the machine ten days ago, it has now corrected itself. It isn't doing it anymore (at least for now). Account switching is working as it should without the long black screen delay and I didn't do anything to fix it. Most recent Windows Update was on May 1st, two days ago so that's not what did it. Weird.

No Events found!