Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2012 06:00

XPS17 L702X 4 beep code when 2nd RAM module is installed

Hi,

This started like a month ago when I tried to boot my laptop but instead I was getting this 4 beep code (RAM read/write failure). What I did then was removing/switching memory modules until I found one of them wasn't working (the one on DIMM A slot). So, I order new RAM, install it and laptop works fine for about two weeks.

Just today I tried to boot and got the 4 beep code again. Same old: remove one module, test, replace the module, test...but this time whenever I fill the DIMM A slot the laptop won't boot (4 beep code of course). I can use any of my RAM sticks on DIMM B and the computer will work fine, which means that my memory sticks aren't bad.

I'd appreciate any ideas,

Thanks,

--Pablo

FYI, I have 3 4GB RAM modules, 2 of them are the Corsair RAM I recently bought and the other one came originally with the laptop (Hynix)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Sounds like one memory socket has gone bad -- you will need to replace the system board.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi pbarrates,

Since the memory sticks are working fine on slot B, I suspect that Slot A is faulty.  You may consider replacing the mother board. Please send me a private message of the system service tag to check the warranty details.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

6 Posts

November 9th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for the quick responses! Not that I love the idea of replacing the mother board, but it looks like I got my answer

--Pablo

2 Posts

August 13th, 2016 11:00

Hello, I have the same problem with my l702x in which the motherboard was replaced by Dell.  It seems to have a bad RAM socket. My system when purchased was the one with the 3D, 3GB video card motherboard...  Also read online that the system I purchased was supposed to have 4 RAM slots.  As I mentioned, Dell replaced the original one with a "lesser" motherboard, with just 2 memory slots?  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2016 14:00

The only systems that shipped with four memory sockets are those where more than 8G of RAM was ordered from the factory - the 3D systems shipped with both 2- and 4-DIMM mainboards.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2016 21:00

Mine was purchased with 8GB RAM from the factory yes

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 14th, 2016 04:00

That's why it has a 2-soDIMM mainboard.  Only systems that shipped with 12 or 16 G of RAM from the factory have the 4-soDIMM boards.

No Events found!