Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2017 07:00

Xps 13 9360 My music pause when display goes off

I have the power settings to turn the display off in 10 minutes but to never turn off the computer when plugged in . Yet, when I have music playing and the display turns off the sound stopsthe. Player continues to run but there is no sound.. Tapping the start button or any key and the screen lights up and the music resumes. Sound driver rolledback to windows native. Nothing changes.

Help.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 13th, 2017 09:00

My 9365 does the same thing and it isn't just music.

For some reason when I would use the Windows Media Player, the display would not turn off so the music continued.

I asked some other 9365 users and they stated their systems operated normally so I am at a loss as to why it happens or what to do about it.  I even checked the operation on a clean Windows 10 install, so it might be a Bios situation.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2017 13:00

One thing that I did not realize up until recently was that the Surface behaved weird when it comes to playing music.

While you can use all kinds of programs and apps for that, the following happens when you play music using desktop programs: As soon as the screen goes to sleep (the device itself is still active), music stops.

As soon as you use the touchpad, type or use the mouse so that the screen becomes active again, music playback continues.

This means that you cannot play music using desktop programs continuously while the device is idle. That is, unless you change the default configuration of your device.

Note: While music is mentioned, the same behavior happens when you play videos. If you play music videos on YouTube, those videos will stop when the power saving mode kicks in.

Play Music on a Surface While the Screen is Off

You may have noticed that the majority of Windows Store applications don't show the same behavior when you play music in them.

The main reason for this is how the Connected Standby feature works on the device. Microsoft introduced Connected Standby in Windows 8 as a way to bring a low-power state to Windows devices that works similar to how smartphones and tablets handle things.

The feature is not supported by all devices running Windows though, but Microsoft Surface devices like the Surface Pro 4 support it.

Basically, what is happening is that your PC continues to perform certain operations while in that mode. It may check for new messages, emails or other updates, and download those if available.

Connected Standby works mostly with Windows Store applications and not desktop apps, and that is the main reason why desktop programs will stop working when the computer enters the mode.

So what can you do?

You have a couple of options to address the issue.

Option 1: Use Windows Store apps

edge play music

Since Windows Store applications (including Microsoft Edge) are not affected by the issue, you may use them to play music even when your device enters Connected Standby mode.

If you use web streaming services, you may use Microsoft Edge to play those continuously on the device even if the power saving mode kicks in on it.

The screen will turn dark, but music continues to play regardless of that.

While this may work for some users, others may prefer not to use apps for that purpose.

Option 2: Disable Connected Standby

disable connected standby

If you disable Connected Standby, Windows will revert to Hibernation instead. The side-effect of the procedure is that desktop programs will continue to work when the screen turns off.

A negative effect of this is that it may take longer for your device to wake up which impacts when the device is ready for use.

Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key.

Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Locate the preference CsEnabled on the right side.

Double-click on it, and set its value to 0.

Restart the PC.

This disables Connected Standby on the device. You can revert the change at any time by setting the value to 1 again using the process above.

I have created two Registry files that you may use to enable or disable Connected Standby on your device. This may help you if you only need to turn off the feature occasionally, but want to use it at other times.

Download the following zip archive to your system and extract it:  connected-standby.zip

You can double-click on the Registry files then to turn CS on or off.

You may need to disable automatic hibernation as well. I suggest you try it first without disabling it, and only perform the following operation when music stops playing after a while (not when the screen turns off, but when hibernation kicks in).

Use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application.

Select System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings.

Click on "change plan settings" next to the active power plan.

Select "change advanced power settings" on the page that opens.

Find the Sleep listing, and there the Sleep after listing.

Set it to never by entering a time of 0 minutes.

Option 3: Google Chrome's exclusive-mode-audio feature

chrome exclusive mode audio

If you use Google Chrome to play music, for instance using web services, then you may start it up with a parameter called exclusive-mode-audio to keep music playing when the device enters Connected Standby mode.

Locate the Google Chrome shortcut on your system.

Right-click on it, and select Properties from the menu. Note that you need to right-click again on Google Chrome in menu first if you right-clicked on the Chrome icon in the Taskbar.

Append --exclusive-mode-audio at the end of the target line, and make sure there is a space between.

Restart Google Chrome afterwards or start it up.

Google Chrome should continue to play audio from that moment on, even with Connected Standby enabled.

Now You: Have another tip on how to handle the issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 13th, 2017 19:00

Vanyaldol, your post is very comprehensive and I may find something which makes sense when I have time.

The bottom line is the music should not stop when the Display turns off.  It should not going into Modern Standby.  I run the powercfg /sleepstudy command every once in a while to check.

Something to consider is my system goes into Modern Standby/not connected.  I watched the Microsoft video concerning Modern Standby.  I am not sure I want that for my systems and may check your registry edit.

But as far as I can tell this does not impact the problem.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 13th, 2017 20:00

I just got a new bios update on my 9365, no improvement in the music stopping.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 13th, 2017 22:00

Vanyaldol, I tried your registry edit and it appears the music does keep playing after the screen shuts off.  I will leave my system like this to see if anything unnatural happens.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2017 03:00

Hello SaltGrass. Connected standby mode is the main feature of laptop 9360, 9365.  And Connected Standby works mostly with Windows Store applications and not desktop apps, and that is the main reason why desktop programs will stop working when the computer enters the mode.

So what can you do?

Option 1: Use Windows Store apps, like as Microsoft Edge or Skype etc

Option 2: Disable Connected Standby

I advise you to use Option 1. I checked that when using the Microdoft Edge the music does not turn off. This is a Microsoft strategy.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 14th, 2017 08:00

I was just watching my system when it went to sleep with the registry change and it started flashing white and yellow on the power LED on the front.  So I guess I won't be leaving this one with that mod.

I agree it seems to be a designed process, I just don't see why a system using a battery would need to keep the display on when it was set to be doing something which did not need the display.  

I gave up on a thread I started on this but hopefully you will find an answer.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 14th, 2017 12:00

I found a website which has a very simple explanation of Modern Standby.  I have been making a mistake assuming the "Turn off Display" actually meant that.  In reality, which you probably already knew, you are telling it to go to Modern Standby.

Once in Modern Standby, the Desktop Activity Moderator will suspend desktop apps and as you mentioned, allow background apps to turn on and complete some function.  Thus the music will stop.  For me it just took a little more info and comparing the event times to the sleep study, to understand..

msdn.microsoft.com/.../advantages-of-using-modern-standby-over-s3

4 Posts

May 14th, 2017 13:00

Yes it is connected stendby mode and it support very little amounts app, such as microsoft edge

No Events found!