Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2011 08:00

after screen replacement nothing on the display

Hi,

I dropped the a Dell Studio 1458 and broke the LCD display (BT140GW01 V.0 (1366 x 768) LED). Even the broken, there was an image on the screen.

I opened the computer to remove the display assembly. Then I realized it was not necessary to remove complete display assembly, however when I mounted everything back, the broken image was also gone.

Yesterday I had a replacement (LTN140AT02 (1366 x 768) LED) for the display panel and replaced the broken display panel. There is nothing on the screen, completely black.

I can connect an external monitor and it works without any problem. Tried to switch screens with Fn + F1, but nothing happens.

Device manager in Windows only lists the external monitor. However if I disconnect the laptop display panel from computer and turn the laptop on, there are beeps indicating that display is missing.

I think I screw up something at the first time trying to remove display assemble. But can't figure it out.

Any idea or help where to look and what to check?

Thanks in advance!

Z

3 Posts

August 20th, 2011 05:00

I spotted the the solution here for Dell Studio 1458 and 1545:

forum.notebookreview.com/.../478489-inspiron-1545-led-screen-no-backlight-4.html

I realized that original but cracked screen had somehow the image but no backlight. Then I found the forum above.

This is an issue rising from the fuse protecting the LCD. I first checked the fuse with an multimeter and it was measured open. To check it, I simply shortcut the fuse with a little wire. the cracked screen backlit came to life.

However, the new screen still has no response.

I suppose the new screen just not compatible. I am waiting for the answer from seller.

Best, Z

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2011 11:00

Since it's LED-backlit, did the new screen come complete with a converter (backlight power supply)?

3 Posts

August 19th, 2011 20:00

Both displays are LED backlit, so no inverter necessary.

If convertor means CCFL backlight to LED convertor, I suppose it is also not necessary.

However, I noticed with the new panel, there is an additional 8-pin connector. On the original LCD there is no such a connector. Could it be that I am provided with a CCFL panel?

Thanks, Z

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 20th, 2011 04:00

You're correct that an LED  backlit screen doesn't need an inverter, but it DOES need a  power supply for the LEDs - called a converter.   Screens ususally DO NOT come with them unless explicitly specified - and a converter from one screen won't necessarily work with another model from a different manufacturer.

No Events found!