Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 00:00

audio expander? 2ch to 8ch

hello, i have a very different request. i have my laptop, a N5010 dell inspiron and i have these videos, i want to watch, that are 1080p, but have 2ch sound. i would like to know of a player that can split/ or play these videos with 8ch sound with 1080p and i have hdmi, that goes straight to the audio receiver. its a home theater setup.

Bryce

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hello Bryce.

If I understand you, you are looking for software that can synthesize 7.1 surround sound out of a stereo mix? I don't believe there is such software but if there is -- your laptop does not have the hardware to output the extra channels. For that hardware capability  you would need an external 7.1 sound card. Here is an example

You would need to research if there are any cards like that that come with software to synthesize additional channels. I don't think that one does.

Here is an interesting 2 channel card that claims to "simulate" 7.1 surround sound from 2 channels -- however it can only play through 2 speakers not 8.

http://www.ambery.com/usbsocawivi7.html

As far as your HDMI connection, it theoretically can output 5.1 audio -- not 7.1 --  to a tv (don't know if it can do it with a receiver), but there has to be a 5.1 sound source such as a dvd movie with surround sound.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 22:00

the receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR606 and at the bottom it says(multiple items):

[Dolby True HD], [dts HD Master audio], [Audyssey], [Sirius], [theatre-Dimensional], [Cinema filter], RIHD], [Faroudja].

the speakers that I'm classifying as 8chanelFront Left, Front Right, Center, Sub/Bass, Surround Left, Surround Right, Surround Back Right and Surround Back Left.

The TV is an LG 62" inch plasma with model number: 60PG70F-UB (cannot connect to internet)

and yes you did kinda get it but I'm wondering if there is a like a virtual program that can boost/ or expand the audio, so if its like in stereo, the program would be able to generate the audio to more channels. like give 4 Chanel sound instead of stereo(2ch)

my setup: latptop->HDMI cable to receiver->HDMI cable to TV.

p.s. i have tried to research a bit, all that comes up is retarded adds and faulty site that have no relation to what I'm talking about.

p.p.s. i think i have been able to play files with 6ch on the system with the 6 or more speakers. working. problem is- my mom likes the Center blasting :/

sorry for any text errors, my laptop literally burns me and i having trouble seeing my screen(just one of those kind of nights(nothing to worry about))

Bryce

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 24th, 2012 06:00

I'm wondering if there is a like a virtual program that can boost/ or expand the audio, so if its like in stereo, the program would be able to generate the audio to more channels. like give 4 Chanel sound instead of stereo(2ch)

Try using a dsp plug-in with your music player program, so search for

stereo expander Windows Media Player, or stereo expander Winamp, or whatever player you use.

Windows Media Player 11 accepts plug-ins -- look under Tools>Plug-ins

The SRS software is a WMP plug is an example. There is a demo on its site you can listen to.

http://www.srslabs.com/audioessentials/index.html

Another one is DFX Audio Enhancer that claims to work with any player and has fake surround sound that is supposed to work with both stereo speakers and surround sound playback systems. http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/features.php#effects

There are plenty more signal processing plug-ins out there. A lot of plug-ins are meant to work with specific professional audio programs like Pro-Tools, so that is why I suggest you include the name of your player in the search terms -- to eliminate the pro programs that will not work with consumer players.

No Events found!