Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2012 14:00

battery plugged in but not charge

dear forum,

I got my battery plugged in but not charged in, The light indicator in the left corner is on, showing that there's no connection problem but when I leave it even for a night, the battery meter show the same number before I leave it. What possible the cause and what should I do? I bought the computer April 2011, so it's still on warranty right? please give me suggestion.

Nora

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 10th, 2012 15:00

Hi Nora,

Please contact Dell right away. It's possible your charger is bad, which is covered under warranty. Another possibility is that your battery is bad, which is not covered by the warranty.

934 Posts

March 11th, 2012 07:00

Even though the BIOS update obviously "fixed" the problem I would keep a (very) close eye on the situation.Once you are out of warranty you might have to deal with a faulty charger/battery or faulty mainboard.A new charger is more or less cheap but a new mainboard can be very expensive.Your system has been working fine for almost a year ,why - all of a sudden - is it necessary to update the BIOS ?There are cases where an update can indeed  make the difference but in your case a possible intermittent hardware problem cannot be ruled out.A loose cable connection or loose power jack are one of the main reasons why Dell laptops refuse to charge(Dell uses a special charging system)..Check visually the power cable,power plug,power jack - also try  gently wiggling the power plug and observe any possible charging issues.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2012 18:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thanks for your respond. I got answer from DELL to update my BIOS. Now, the problem's solved.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2012 01:00

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I was wondering as well how long or how many times we should update BIOS, because i never been asked for updating BIOS for my another lappy. Anyway, I'll check the power cable as well.

934 Posts

March 12th, 2012 16:00

Enter the BIOS (press F2 at power up) , check if the power adapter is properly recognized)

and watch the video for some basic details.

1 Message

March 12th, 2012 16:00

My problem is the same, but when i try to update my bios, it tells me that my batteery has to be over 10% charged before i can do so.... and how do i get my battery over 10% when i cant charge? :(

No Events found!