Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

HX

October 7th, 2008 08:00

cant update video driver??

If i try and update my drivers for my xpsm1730 dual 8800m gtx's from nvidia the file says corruped redownload (tried 10 times) if i d/load one from laptop2go or another one from dell the installtion times out n says try again! So what can i try next, i'm on the orginal 165 version i think that the dell came with

3.6K Posts

October 7th, 2008 11:00

The Nvidia site drivers are desktop,and while you can still install these,nvidia page does not have the moded .inf file you need to install with the driver.With laptopvideo2go,you also need to install the moded .inf file with the driver package to install it.At the top page of the driver you should see .INF file  and  DRIVER,Listed in red.

4.6K Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

Have you tried the ones in the Drivers & Downloads section on the Dell (support) website?

October 10th, 2008 07:00

the old one 167 i think is on my laptop already and the new 174 says its for 8700's not 8800's but i tried it n it says its for vista but it cant detect that i'm running vista (i got ultimate) so it wont install

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

November 7th, 2008 20:00

Nvidia does have a laptop driver (175.32) for the M1710/30. Make sure you select the GO driver in the selection box. Her's the link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_notebook_175.32_whql.html

Can't figure out how to get the new Forums to set a link????

I downloaded the program with no problems. Am going to try it on my wife's E1705.

80 Posts

November 7th, 2008 20:00

Follow the directions here to un-install and reinstall drivers:

http://www.xps-wiki.com/wiki/Installing_Latest_nVidia_Graphics_Drivers

January 23rd, 2009 02:00

If i try and update my drivers for my xpsm1730 dual 8800m gtx's from nvidia the file says corruped redownload (tried 10 times) if i d/load one from laptop2go or another one from dell the installtion times out n says try again! So what can i try next, i'm on the orginal 165 version i think that the dell came with

When I have talked to level II support at NVidia regarding updates to any of my Dell Desktops (all with dual video cards 7950 GTXs or 8800 GTXs, they specifically told me to remove the prior driver before attempting to install the new driver package.  In fact, they specifically told me to use Driver Sweeper, which is a free utility (I believe, because it's been awhile ago).  YOU MUST BE CAREFUL, if you have an NFORCE RAID CONTROLLER because the SMB & Raid Drivers will appear in the list along side the NVidia Video Drivers (especially with two cards).  You don't want to remove your RAID DRIVER installations.  So, make sure that the Driver Sweeper application is set to ONLY REMOVE the video drivers.

Then, go ahead with the install of the newest NVidia mobile video card driver package.  This has worked pretty flawlessly for me.

Dell XPS M1730
Mobile Intel 2.8GHz,Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Processor, 4MB, 800MHz FSB
PERSONALIZATION SHIELD, LCD COLOR WING OPTION,GRAY
4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for XPS M1730
17" UltraSharp TrueLife Wide screen WUXGA
1GB NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8800M GTX (Dual Cards 512MB each)
400G (2x200) 7200RPM High Performance SATA HDD
Vista Ultimate 32-bit Edition
Media Direct 3.3
DellTravel ExpressCard Remote Control, IR
Blu-ray Disc Drive (BD/DVD/CD burner w/double layer BD write capability)
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy
Intel 4965 WLAN (802.11a/g/n) Mini Card
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1730
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery, for XPS M1730
4 Year Limited Warranty
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year(s)
Type 15- Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Week ends, 24x7 Technical Support, 3 Year Extended
Dell Wrls 5720 VZW (Verizon) Mobile Broadband (EVDO) MiniCard
AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator
Vista Premium System

1 Terabyte Western Digital My Book (1394/USB/eSATA) - Backup/Archive Box

4.6K Posts

January 25th, 2009 12:00

Here's the link:  http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_notebook_175.32_whql.html

Can't figure out how to get the new Forums to set a link????

Just do what I do Kirk, and cheat... by copying/pasting a saved link format :emotion-55: :emotion-2:

The standard link format is {URL=Insert URL here]Insert name/description here[/URL}, but I prefer to use *** {URL=Blah blah blah]Blah blah blah[/URL} - which shows links underlined, and in bold/blue.

Simply replace the first and last {} in each of those, with []... and change the colour to whatever you want.

I've found, blue, red, green, and purple to show best... although orange is just about OK, and black would obviously be fine too... but wouldn't necessarily stand out as a link in the same way the other colours do :emotion-5:

**** You'll have to click on the 'reply' button below my post, to see the correct format I use!

It's truncated when I 'Preview' it for some reason?

You don't actually need to reply of course.  Just use it to see the format - which you can copy/paste into a text document of your own, if you so wish.

No Events found!