Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 13th, 2007 23:00

cpu overheating on latitude c840

I'm having a problem with overheating on my Latitude C840.  If running only IE or other browser, CPU temp is 83 C, hard drive 44 C, GPU 62 C, fans on high in the 9k's. CPU load only 1-5% as I write this.  One of the fins on one fan is broken, but is that enough to make it run so hot?  If I run Media player or Outlook or other memory hog, CPU heats up to 92 C, shuts down @ 93C if I let it run.  Cleaned dust from fans.  Whole system runs pretty loud, much worse than when it was new 4 years ago (I think from the hard drive and not the fans).  Does this sound like I just need to replace fans or CPU cooler?  Could this be from a failing hard drive, as it sounds like a sick cow?

4.8K Posts

January 14th, 2007 00:00

maynard99,

With one fin broken on one of the fans, you can lose as much as 50% of the air flow which would be generated by that fan.  The fan will also be louder since it will be off balance.  You may even be able to feel the vibration caused by the damaged fan if you are holding the system on your lap.  I would not hold it there very long, however.  The fan assembly can be replaced without having to replace the system board or the heatsink assembly.  The Dell part number for the dual fan assembly is 6F858.  Dell spare parts should be able to sell you this item.  Replacing it will require disassembly of almost all of the system including removal of the system main board.  Instructions can be found here.  Be sure to click the link for "Remove the system board" before you begin.

4.8K Posts

January 14th, 2007 01:00

maynard99,

When you disassemble your system to replace the cooling fans, be sure that there is not dust cloggin the fins of the heatsink assembly.  The fans draw air through these and, even if the fans are clean, if the fins are cloggled with dust, you will not get the temp reductions that you are looking for.  Also, check the adhesion of the heatsink assembly to the CPU.  If the visible portion of the thermal grease around the edges of the CPU are cracked and dried out, consider cleaning the old grease from the top of the CPU and replacing it with new thermal grease.  "Arctic Silver" is a commonly recommended brand of thermal grease on these forums.

Steve

2 Posts

January 14th, 2007 01:00

Thanks,

I've ordered the part, and should know by next weekend if my laptop runs cooler, and quieter.

4.2K Posts

January 14th, 2007 02:00

Hi,

Make sure you are sold the correct fan. The C800 and C810 used a similar but less powerfull fan, it looks the same and was sold by some suppliers as a C840 fan.

Regards Chris

January 14th, 2007 14:00

Also if you still want your laptop to run cooler, download i8kfangui. It is a excellent tool which you can control the fans.

Do a google for i8kfangui.

25 Posts

February 21st, 2007 14:00

Another simple yet very awesome suggestion to help your system run even cooler is simply to get one of those USB-powered laptop cooling pads.  They draw air away from the bottoms of laptops, further reducing the heat stresses to the units. 

I got one for my C840, and I swear by it!  My cooling fans inside the unit don't run as often, and after a few hours use, you can feel the underside of the laptop and it is barely warm!  These babies really work!  An excellent augmentation to the other suggestions for keeping the fans/heatsink fins clean, etc.

I hope that this helped!

Regards,

Bill

No Events found!