Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 4th, 2013 22:00

dell 610 dvd drive not ok

So I am trying to burn a cd with iso image of my Acronis true image 2012. I put in two different CD-r - sony and memorex - and not recognized. If I put in a cd or dvd with data it recognizes it and says it is full and that is right. Then I tried to use img burn and it says Device is not ready.

Is it looking only for a dvd?

I am very puzzled by this After hours trying I am asking for professional help

from Judy:emotion-10::emotion-55:

2K Posts

October 6th, 2013 03:00

Hi Judy,

It is unfortunate that you are unable to burn discs. Request you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   Click on start.

(2)   Select all programs and detect the burning software (like Roxio).

(3)   You may want to uninstall/ reinstall the burning software.

Also you may follow the below steps:

(1) Click on start.

(2) Right click computer and select properties.

(3) Click on device manager.

(4) Double click on disc drive.

(5) Right click on DVD drive firmware and uninstall it.

(6) Restart the computer.

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

5 Posts

October 6th, 2013 07:00

Kiran

thank you

the major issue is that the DVD drive does not recognize any CD-r. It is working and it recognizes other discs with data. So I cannot burn it. I tried two different kinds of CD-r and it is the same. I want to get Acronis bootable media onto a CD as my Dell hard drive is going. I could put it on the same external drive as the backups? I could get another external hard drive. I could try a dvd disc. I followed your steps. If I uninstall the firmware and restart does it reinstall? The drive does work except with CD-r discs.

Judy

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 6th, 2013 08:00

This may be silly question, but are you sure your drive is capable of buring CDs?

The D610 is rather old, and I have seen CDROM drives which are not capable of burning discs.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 6th, 2013 10:00

It won't hurt to try a DVD+R or DVD-R disc.

However, a data CD that you get when you purchase a software program is different from a CD-R. The chemical composition is different.

That is why I ask you again if the  drive is capable of burning CDs.

5 Posts

October 6th, 2013 10:00

Its not the main problem about burning a CD. The main problem is that I put in a CD-r tried two kinds and it is not recognized. It says Insert a disk or Drive not ready. The issue is that the disc is not recognized. I am thinking to try a dvd disc. Any DVD with data is recognized.

Judy

5 Posts

October 6th, 2013 11:00

Yes dell 610 has. Cd burner

Judy

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 6th, 2013 12:00

Yes dell 610 has. Cd burner

Judy

How do you know? What does it say on the bezel?

5 Posts

October 6th, 2013 19:00

I think you are right - that this Dell 610 has CD/DVD Rom drive that reads and does not burn the discs. And that is why it does not recognize a blank disc. Wow! So given that I will have to get the Acronis bootable media file onto an external drive a usb device. Yes?

My drive is HL-DT-St DVD-ROM DU10N

You deserve a prize which I wish I could give you

Any other suggestion? This 610 will be replaced and I am trying to have data for a new hard drive and I need a bootable Acronis True Image 2012 on a separate device

from Judy

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 6th, 2013 20:00

Nero Info Tool http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html can tell you what kind of drive you have though I suspect that the drive does not have a burner capability

I am not sure why you need to buy Acronis True Image 2012.

If you buy a new laptop, you simply use Windows Easy Transfer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/transfer-data-from-old-computer-to-windows-8/   to transfer data files from the D610.

No Events found!