Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

14 Posts

December 9th, 2008 12:00

e6400, e4300 blue screens

I have a bunch of e6400's here some with a nvidia chip/web cam/blue tooth, some with out. I'm getting the same random Blue screen on the systems 0x0000008e CI.Dll It randomly happens on all systems, I thought this might have to do with sysprep. but today I was setting up a e4300 (light weight) it has basically the same chip set as the e6400. Installed Vista off the DVD and loaded all the dell drivers and MS updates. On boot up today it blue screened with that same error. There is something definitely going on and I doubt its hardware since this has happened on over 10 systems already. There are no mini/memory dump files created so Its very hard to trouble shoot whats going on. Any log files I can look at that could help?

4 Posts

June 5th, 2009 06:00

I have the exact same problem with my E6500 Vista Ultimate x32 w/nvidia chip/web cam/blue tooth.  It is random at bootup and blue screens with CI.dll.  The one way to fix it temporarily is to pull the DVD/CD player out before boot.  After boot, you can push it back in.  I was thinking it may be the DVD RW/CD or Intel's Matrix Storage Manager.  I also have all the latest firmwares and drivers.  What model DVD/CD do you have?  Mine is the TSST DVD+-RW TS-U633A, bios D200.

I second this response. I have the E6400 with roughly the same exact setup, minus the webcam. I have been getting BSOD during bootup. Something to do with the CI.DLL. I updated the firmware to the D300 version with little luck and also switched the system from IRRT to AHCI. While the IRRT to AHCI switch seemed to help for a while, the problem is intermittent and therefore hard to exactly diagnose.

The problem returned after a week or so. Furthermore, it is now no longer intermittent, but cronic.The only real solution I've come up with is to pop out the entire DVD-RW module before bootup.

I would also say that since the problem was intermittent and is now cronic, it suggests a progressive hardware failure on the part of the DVD. Until now,  I was able to reboot a couple of times until the problem went away. Now, however,, the system absolutely refused to boot, unless I take out the drive. I have to completely remove it from it's slot, for the system to boot.  Will call Tech Support tonight, as this suggests a problematic DVD drive.

5 Posts

June 5th, 2009 08:00

Hello,

Dell finally sent me a new DVD drive.  That seems to have done the trick.  No more BSOD.

4 Posts

June 6th, 2009 06:00

Dell finally sent me a new DVD drive.  That seems to have done the trick.  No more BSOD.

As a follow up.

I called Dell. After trying a few things the Tech arranged to send me a new DVD module. The nice things about this problem going from cronic to intermittent is at least it becomes servicable.

Prior to called the tech I also updated the Firmware to A14  which didn't help. However, afterward, as per another suggestion I updated Vista to SP2. This seems to have helped. I haven't had the BSOD since the SP2 update. However, since this problem can be both intermittent or cronic (depending on the cycle of the moon, or the time of the month j/k), I think it is still best (in my case) to replace the DVD-RW since that seemed to have been a focal point for resolving the issue.

Maybe SP2 made vista a little more fault tolerant with respect to the unreliable DVD-RW modules or fixed a glitch in the motherboard-DVD communication. Alternatively, I know the motherboard was newer or released close to vista SP1, as such there may have been poor support for it in Vista SP1. SP2 is supposed to introduce a bunch of support for newer hardware, which may have helped the issue in the case of problematic hardware.

2 Posts

June 8th, 2009 03:00

So, SP2 of VISTA resolve the BSOD!!!

4 Posts

June 8th, 2009 05:00

So, SP2 of VISTA resolve the BSOD!!!

Unclear what your asking. Please restate what you mean.

Vista SP2 seems to help. Not sure if its a solution since the problem switches between being intermittent and cronic, i.e., it happens for a while, then goes away for a week, then comes back.

Only way to to tell is to give it a month or so. Everyone also seems to have a different way to get around it. Likely, because the CI.dll is a startup dll which verifies start-up devices. It's failure indicates a start-up problem which may be traced to many alternative reasons, not a particular defect. Furthermore, the 0x00...7E error is simply a memory start-up error which indicates a start-up device failure which can be either a hardware or driver problem.

SP2 seems to help resolve it, but the problem is not gone until I see its gone for 2 weeks-2 months.

4 Posts

June 18th, 2009 06:00

Well its been a few weeks since I installed SP2 and replaced the TSST A633U DVD-ROM with the Panasonic one I got from Dell.. and tada... problem is still there.

I hate vista.

The problem is less chronic than it used to be, but still shows up from time to time. I may attempt a complete OS rebuild, when I have the time. It's still a 7E stop error, however now it isn't listing any particular DLL. Before it was referncing the CI.dll.

14 Posts

September 30th, 2009 09:00

I have an update. We worked with some top people at dell on this issue for a while. For us it came to an issue with McAfee 8.5. To fix this we delayed auto started McAfee services (Delayed auto start is a Vista setting that loads all other services first then the delayed start services, in this case these were McAfee framework service, McAfee McSheild & McAfee Task Manager)

The blue screens are now gone.

1 Message

November 10th, 2009 02:00

Hello,

We have three Latitude E6500 Dells with no webcams, two of them have blue screen errors (CI.dll)  from time to time . Restarting in save mode a few times mostly fixes the problem.  I now updated the BIOS from the dell site to A16, updated VISTA (32bit) to service pack 2, explorer to version 8 and all recommended hardware updates from the DELL site. Further there is no McAfee installed on the laptops but Avast.

For now, fingers crossed!!  But I was wondering if the people with the new dvd player still have problems, and if this is the real cause of the problem? Or if  any other solutioin is found in the mean while?

Thx!

Greetz

Sandra Claeys

No Events found!