Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2009 04:00

eSATA port is not working in my Studio XPS 13

Hi guys. I just bought my Studio XPS 13 laptop and have already faced problem with eSATA port which is simply not working at all.

I have an external enclosure with two 1.5 TB HDD's in it working in JBOD mode and I have no problem with connecting it to my desktop via eSATA. Same goes with connecting my enclosure to my laptop via eSATA port in Sweex ExpressCard controller - no problems, works great. However, if I connect the enclosure to the combo eSATA/USB port on my laptop, nothing happens at all. Drives are not recognized in BIOS as well, and leaving my enclosure connected while booting up leads to initial BIOS loading screen hanging.

Vista Home Premium x64, newest drivers installed, newest BIOS installed.

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 17:00

I have a very similar problem...  I just purchased this Studio XPS 13, and also a Seagate FreeAgent XTreme, 1TB external HDD.

It was working fine at one point.  However, now the ESATA interface to the drive is not working, but the USB connection is.  This implies that it is an ESATA issue.

I updated my BIOS from A02 to A04, and this is when I noticed the problem.  (I am not totally convinced that this BIOS update toasted the ESATA connection.)

The BIOS setting is set properly to AHCI.  However, the BIOS does not detect the drive via ESATA.

I dont think that the drive was disconnected from the Laptop while running, but still ... It would be nice to confirm that there are not issues hot-swapping ESATA drives.

I also installed all of the Dell drivers and ran Windows update.  (Obviously, drivers cannot be the primary issue if the BIOS isn't detecting the drive.)

The BIOS does detect the drive when connected via USB.

The "HELP" for the "ESATA AHCI/ATA Mode" configuration setting refers to an "Enable ESATA" configuration setting.  I cannot find this setting anywhere in the BIOS.

I have spoken with Dell Tech Support about this.  The issue is being escalated and I was told that it will take a day or so to hear back. 

I am planning on going back to Best Buy to see if they will exchange my drive for another to see if the disk is bad somehow.

Will post results.

Hope this helps.

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 21:00

An update, I took the drive back to Best Buy and they tested it there. They also could not get the drive to connect via the ESATA cable.

Perhaps it was possible that the drive got messed up during the BIOS update from A02 to A04?

The remaining problem is that I didn't get to exchange the drive, so I have no idea if my laptop's ESATA port is still working.

I will try to get another ESATA drive later this week.

HTH

2 Posts

March 24th, 2009 03:00

You see, it has been confirmed by many users on the related forums that XPS 13 eSata port can't really work in SATA-II mode, and the problem is often solved by setting the HDD jumper to limit the transfer rate to SATA-I. However this in only possible if using external HDD enclosures which are easy to open and not the "external drives" which are also a HDD in the enclosure but you have to tear it apart to open it and set the jumper. I sent the question twice to the tech support, it's been a month...

2 Posts

June 12th, 2009 16:00

I know there is something wrong with the Dell ESata, I have exactly the same issues.  I just received my Dell XPS 13 about 3 hours ago, I haven't installed anything and it does not work with my Seagate Xtreme 1.5TB drive.  I'm about to test the USB to see if that works.

Update: USB works fine, ESata doesn't work with any products that I have tested.  I've had good luck with an ESata express card and the same Seagate Xtreme 1.5TB drive.

1 Message

July 8th, 2009 08:00

I have the same issue as well.  I have had a tech visit twice (replaced esata port cable and then the motherboard) after the motherboard swap, I have no lockups, but of course, Inow the port is completely dead.  They have sent me a new refurbished replacement laptop and the same problem exists-eSATA will lock up at BIOS screen.  It appears there is a real problem with the XPS series.  I have used my eSATA drive on my desktop and a dell E6400 computer and it works fine.  Only my XPS has an issue.

19 Posts

August 13th, 2009 21:00

Same eSATA issue for me, too.  Funny thing is I got the Dell XPS because my old laptop died.  I mounted the old HD with a 32-bit OS in a drive enclosure and it's my distant recollection that eSATA worked booting off 32-bit Win7 RC on the external HD.  But 64-bit Vista or 64-bit Win 7 RC (dual boot), neither works and the computer hangs on the BIOS post.  USB works fine.  3 different drives, 2 WD, 1 Seagate with eSATA/USB exhibit the same behavior.  My cable is DYNEX.

Jim Lewis

170 Posts

August 13th, 2009 23:00

Just to try and narrow it down.

Can anyone/everyone list their OS (XP, Vista, Win7) and if 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64).

If, as Jim mentioned, eSATA works with 32bit OS and not 64bit OS it might be a driver issue.

If the eSATA external HD isn't recognized in BIOS it's likely  hardware, connection port, cable, etc., or BIOS firmware.

Check that the cable is plugged in correctly, mine fits a little loose, not sure if the loose connection is 'normal' or not.

Some people have confirmed this, if you haven't yet, try checking the SATA setting in BIOS. In the 'Advanced' tab scroll down to 'SATA Mode Selection' is it in 'IDE' or 'AHCI' ? Should be in AHCI, If it is in 'IDE' the external should be seen if it's plugged in an powered up when you start the computer. If the correct AHCI driver is loaded on your computer you should be able to switch it to AHCI mode, if you try and you get a blue screen then go back to BIOS and switch it abck to 'IDE'.  (There's a way to load the AHCI drivers, restart, go to BIOS and set it to AHCI, this will work if your BIOS is set to IDE and you want to change it to SATA)

OneFlame,

"I took the drive back to Best Buy and they tested it there. They also could not get the drive to connect via the ESATA cable."

Did Best Buy try this on your XPS 13 or another computer, OS 32bit or 64bit?

"I dont think that the drive was disconnected from the Laptop while running, but still ... It would be nice to confirm that there are not issues hot-swapping ESATA drives."

I had the same concern, how do you confirm the HD is not 'still in use'?

Just on the chance you can get the eSATA port to work correctly.

If you don't have a way to 'safely remove hardware', my Studio 17 came with eSATA but didn't have any  'safely remove hardware' option, you can download and install the Hotswap program from the HotSwap site, they have both 32bit and 64bit versions.

In order to get the hotswap program to run automatically check here How to Create a Task in Vista Task Scheduler, just remember to set it to start at log in.

Worked for my Studio 17 and Inspiron 530, now I can safely hot swap my eSATA external hard drive. It will give you a message just like the windows 'Safely remove Hardware' feature.

Let us know if any of you find a fix or help with this, 

19 Posts

August 15th, 2009 17:00

Same eSATA issue for me, too.  Funny thing is I got the Dell XPS because my old laptop died.  I mounted the old HD with a 32-bit OS in a drive enclosure and it's my distant recollection that eSATA worked booting off 32-bit Win7 RC on the external HD.  But 64-bit Vista or 64-bit Win 7 RC (dual boot), neither works and the computer hangs on the BIOS post.  USB works fine.  3 different drives, 2 WD, 1 Seagate with eSATA/USB exhibit the same behavior.  My cable is DYNEX.

Jim Lewis

It appears to be the Dynex cable at bought at Best Buy! 

Dynex® - 6' eSATA Cable

Model: DX-C113221 | SKU: 8626098

I got out the Startech enclosure that I mounted my old hard drive from the dead laptop with the 32-bit OS.  Cable plugged deeply into its eSATA port unlike my two WD drives and my Seagate drive.  Booted Win7 RC 64-bit and no hang at BIOS post and I can access the external drive in the Startech enclosure like gangbusters.  Same with 64-bit Vista.

So tomorrow I am marching back to Best Buy with my receipt and the Dynex cable, hoping Best Buy feels it owes me a cable that works! 

Sorry I got mislead thinking it was the 32-bit OS responsible for eSATA working - it was just the better fitting eSATA connection of the enclosure the drive holding the OS was in!

EDIT: Best Buy sells only Dynex cable.  Gave me a 2nd one to try.  Same deal.  Works great with Startech enclosure but not Seagate Free Agent Pro Classic 750 Gb.  Best Buy cheerfully refunded my money so I will buy a SIIG cable from NewEgg.com, said on web blogs to work well all around.  Will update my post with info on that.

170 Posts

August 15th, 2009 21:00

Jim,

I have read on several sites that cables were the cause if the eSATA external device is not recognized. One post said they 'trimmed' the cable end so it would insert further into the eSATA port. It might be that the eSATA/USB port doesn't let the cable go into the port far enough. When bad cables are the cause, this could be due to the end not being able to insert into the port properly, or just faulty cables.  

Hopefully a new cable will work for you,

Dave

1 Message

August 22nd, 2009 05:00

even i have same problem with my FreeAgent 500GB drive. but the disk does not seem to be a problem because the USB is working fine. And the light on the disk glows up when i connect the drive to eSATA port but not recognized by windows and BIOS A07 version. 

2 Posts

August 30th, 2009 22:00

I have just acquired my Studio XPS 13 2 weeks ago and got an external hard drive with an esata connection. I ran into the same problem.

Changed my hd twice and bought a different brand. Always the same...not recognized in Vista x64 or in the BIOS. The only sign I have is that the computer freezes at start up when it's connected.

Anyone found a solution?

Your replies are much appreciated.

19 Posts

August 31st, 2009 23:00

I have tried 4 different cables: Dynex, SIIG, and two from satacables.com recommended by Seagate for a classic Seagate 750 Gb Free Agent Pro.  None of the cables work with my XPS 1340/13 and my Seagate and Western Digital drives but I know the first two work with my Startech external enclosure.  Seems to be a Dell hardware/driver problem that Dell is abysmally slow about fixing (and Michael Dell wonders why his company is tanking!).  The most informative set of posts that I have found on the subject are here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=348270

The optimists at this site say just give Dell a year or so and maybe they'll have it fixed!  - or maybe never if it's a hardware problem.

Jim Lewis

6 Posts

September 1st, 2009 00:00

Hey, I started this thread quite a while ago.  It has been quite the adventure.  I have actually had to replace my Studio XPS 13.  There is a little bit of a causality/correlation issue here, so I hope you understand that I have no idea what happened.

Anyhoo...

I run Windows Vista 64 on my Studio XPS 13, and tried doing the eSATA thing like I said at first, and then all kinds of problems happened.

Either because of the hard drive issues, or perhaps it caused the hard drive issues, (I don't know), or some totally unrelated thing, I found out that my RAM was no good.  There is a Dell Diagnostic that you can run if you hit F8 when you reboot.  The memory issue on my laptop was detected pretty much right away and didn't need to go through the full battery of tests.

I still have no word from Dell about whether or not eSata is hot swappable in that port, or what.  Anyhoo...  I thought I would throw the memory issue in there just for grins.

Oh, yes.  My laptop was replaced.  No, I haven't had the courage to try to plug an eSata drive into it.  I haven't backed it up in a while, and will probably wait for that.  Then again, it would be helpful to back it up to an eSata drive. HAH.  Ahem.  Okay, USB it is.

In case anyone is curious, here is a little review after several months of using it.

This thing plays World of Warcraft and Aion Online very well. :)  Its awesome for portable gaming!   :D

The only thing quirky that I have noticed is that the "feel" of the keyboard changes.  Perhaps its dirt, coffee, or whatever...  But, my keys are definitely more worn in now.  So, if you play on the keyboard in store like I did, and fall in love, know that after a while it will get a little "loose" and click and clack a little.  Its not bad, its just different.  Might right and down arrow keys have gotten stuck, and I had to pop them back in.  So far, no problems. 

The keyboard is not entirely sealed from the motherboard.  There is a little "felt"-ish area where liquid, (such as coffee), might seep through.  So, if you do spill something on it, I recommend powering it off and unplugging it fast; open up the monitor and turn it over, keys down and try to get as much out of it.  Wait till it dries; or better yet have someone clean it out; then reboot.

The touch wireless on/off button is VERY annoying.  If you happen to wipe off your laptop, rewind on a CD, accidentally touch your laptop in the wrong way, whatever, and notice that your wireless doesn't work, start with that button, (I wish it would have been a switch.

The Slot Load DVD was kind of cule, but sometimes it gets a little noisy, but not too bad.

Another issue for me is that the audio and storage cards are up front.  This isn't a big deal for most people, unless they use docking stations and what not.  The docking stations have a "rail" type thing that sits in front of the laptop usually, (like Targus), and blocks access to these.  I haven't found one that works well, where I can prop up my laptop.  Anyhoo.  Its annoying for me to have my speaker wires always plugged in through the front.

All in all, even without the eSATA capability, I LOVE this laptop.  Its weight, its size, its look and feel, are all awesome.  It has never gotten too hot, even with lapdesks. It is quiet. 

2 Posts

September 1st, 2009 22:00

Thanks Jim.

Limiting the hard drive to 1.5Gbps instead of 3 with the jumper settings was the answer for me.

Hope it works for everybody else as well.

Dell should still find an answer to this problem. Let's hope for the best.

19 Posts

September 13th, 2009 11:00

Work around solution to the problem. I got a SIIG eSATA II Express Card, which gives me TWO 3.0 Gbs ports on the card. (Hey, if the Dell port would work, I'd have 3!). I had to go to Device Manager, right click, and scan for new hardware before the card was recognized in Win7 RC, but then a driver installed with no need to access the driver CD that came with the product (Windows Update offered yet another driver but it wouldn't install!). So one of my old cables works great with the SIIG card, proving that it's the Dell port that's messed up. The SIIG card sticks out 4.5 cm and the eSATA cable is pretty inflexible so anyone who goes with this "solution" is going to need a bit of space to the right of your laptop.

Jim Lewis

No Events found!