Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

20 Posts

March 18th, 2004 17:00

error code #M1004

An error has been detected with you r system.

Please call Dell support with Error Code #M1004

Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup

Inspiron 8200 has this this code with 2 beeps after the Dell logo screen during the boot process, both fans are running at full speed as soon as the power is turned on.   After the computer crashed I tried to open the bottom of the notebook to remove the hdd to transfer the data. then I discovered the drive was held in by a screw on the side of the notebook.  after reassembling the computer (and recovering from the crash) the mousepad, pointer and sound no longer worked.  so i reopened the case and found a disconnected clip after reconnecting the clip the computer started with that error code but every thing seems to work normal.  except for the fans running full time and that errorcode everytime I boot.

Please help and thanks in advance.

12 Posts

March 18th, 2004 21:00

Hi! Actually for this particular issue, you have to flash the BIOS of the system. In this site, click on DOWNLOADS link and then specify your service tag. Download the BIOS update, if it is in a HARD DRIVE format just save it to your desktop and then run the file on your system (make sure you dont have USB devices connected). If the format of the BIOS is FLOPPY, save the file on your desktop and run the file, it will ask you to insert a disk. Once done, reboot to the diskette and it will automatically flash the BIOS for you.

If in any case the error msg is still present, I advise you to call Tech Support for further assistance, if possible a prt replacement.

Hope this helps!Ü

20 Posts

March 18th, 2004 23:00

first? Does the latest bios release contain all of the fixes of the previous #s?

second? I don't have a floppy drive and seem to be having trouble booting from the cdrom...

any suggestions?

20 Posts

yes updating the BIOS did get rid of the error code and no i did not call Dell.

3.2K Posts

Well the real question is did you call Dell support???

Just updating the BIOS to a new version will not get rid of this error code. That is why you are see the message to call Dell. Yes any newer BIOS version will have all the previous modes.

20 Posts

Thank you, it worked i used the hard drive fomat ...

still wondering what caused it tho.

20 Posts

March 19th, 2004 00:00

ok now when i play Motocross Madness 2 and Quake 3 the resolution of the game sets the size of the screen!

for example if I use 800x600 I only see an 800x600 pixel image so to get full screen I need to set the resolution to 1600x1200.  and then I loose framrates big time!  and the boot screen and the windows start up screen are small also.

Help... Thank you.

7.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2004 03:00

Have you tried the Fn+F7 combo listed in my sig below for that problem (while the small screen at boot shows)?

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2004 05:00

Yes I did and it worked!  Thank You.
No Events found!