Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 1st, 2012 05:00

harddrive problems

i have a inspiron 1545 after running the dell diagnostics (targeted read test) and (smart short test) failed with the following error code (200-0146) It suggested that harddrive was failing and to replace it. Hell only had this laptop less than 18months. but anyway I tried to back up all my data and that failed due to bad harddrive.

this is the harddrive that is currently in system (samsung HM251HI)  but i didn't want the same so I brought this one

HITACHI 0A78743 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive which is bigger however it doesn't fit or is not being recognize by the bios. so i took it out and laid them side by side and the new harddrive is skinner  than the orginal, what i mean is that the original one comes evenly to the top of the caddy and new one is somewhat recessed by almost an eight of an inch I thought all harddrives were standard and are compatible. can anyone help me out here I just forked out a $ 100

5 Posts

March 1st, 2012 05:00

Hi momack2753,

The physical size of a drive isn't generally an issue as long as all the ports match.. I can't find you part numbers on our system but I may be able to assist further if you could get me the Dell part number of each of these drives (these are 5 characters long).

So, BIOS.. you can upgrade the BIOS which may give you support for your new drive. There is potential for that to turn into a horror story apparantly, but sounds like you don't have much to lose. Otherwise you could get in touch with our staff to get a bigger compatible drive, assuming you're in the states either dial (+44) 0844 824 8782 or email admin@partsit.com.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2012 06:00

It's not uncommon for newer drives to be slimmer - that isn't a problem.

Is there a small board behind the original drive that needs to be transferred to the new one?

No Events found!