Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2015 13:00

how to disable USB 3.0 in BIOS on Latitude 6430s

Dear all,

I need to disable USB 3.0 (Intel Panther Point USB 3.0 controller) support in BIOS on my Latitude E6430s. The BIOS vA14, BIOS Revision: 4.6.

Unfortunately there is no BIOS switch to do this. It is possible to disable USB support for external devices completely, but it is not an option.

Is there any chance to get rid of USB 3.0 on BIOS level? Perhaps some development BIOS release etc.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks

jim

1.2K Posts

April 14th, 2015 04:00

Hi ,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum .

To disable USB 3.0 ports I would suggest you to restart the system  go to system BIOS then under system configuration click on USB configuration then choose to disable External USB Port by this USB 3.0 ports are disabled and devices attached to the USB port cannot be viewed in the operating system .

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write to us in case of any further queries. 

Have a great day ahead !

Kindest Regards ,

4 Posts

April 14th, 2015 23:00

Thank you for answer.

Disabling USB External ports will disable all USB devices connected to external ports. This is not what I need. I need to disable USB 3.0 mode only and be able further to use USB 2.0 and USB 1.0 devices on external port(s).

Thanks

Regads

jim

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2015 04:00

USB 2.0 and 1.x devices are compatible with USB 3.0 ports.  There's no way to force the USB 3.0 ports to act as 2.0/1.x.  It's either on or off.

4 Posts

April 27th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for response, ejn63. Right, there is no way to force USB 3.0 to act as 2.0/1.x. But it is not what I need. My intention was to disable USB 3.0 controller in BIOS, so only ports served by USB20 controller are available for operation (as far as I remember USB ports on one side of Latitude are served by USB30 controller and on the other side with USB2.0).

The Latitude 6440 with Haswell CPU  (newer than my notebook) for example has an option in BIOS to disable USB 3.0 controller. USB2.0 ports are functioning quite well with disabled USB30 .  This is what I would like to have in my notebook.

Thanks.

June 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi, JIM78! I met with the same situation as you were. Did you figure it out? How can I just disable the USB3.0 in BIOS for my Dell Latitude E6430? Thanks for your time. Please kindly show me the details since I really need to figure this out as soon as possible.

Thanks!

1.2K Posts

June 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi  KEVIN.QIXUAN.ZHANG ,

I would suggest you to go to system BIOS ,then in system configuration you can see the option USB configuration .Choose that going ahead from there disable external USB port  ,this should help to disable USB 3.0  . Do reply to this post if there are any concerns .

Hoping this helps .

Kindest Regards ,

June 18th, 2015 01:00

Thanks for your reply. But the thing is that I just need to disable the USB3.0 ports but keep the USB2.0 ports for further usage. Is there any way to do that in BIOS or other methods?

Thanks!

1.2K Posts

June 18th, 2015 10:00

Hi Kevin ,

The above method suggest by me allows you that option .Do check and let me know if there are any concerns .

Kind Regards ,

4 Posts

June 18th, 2015 13:00

Hey Kevin,

unfortunately I have not resolved this question. Disabling ext. USB devs in BIOS on E6430s results in dead USB ports under OS (at least all USB ports on docking station). Hence to achieve my goals I have to boot laptop in Windows.

Regards,

June 18th, 2015 14:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks. Actually I just find that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. The same situation with yours. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one we have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help?

Best regards.

June 18th, 2015 14:00

Thanks Jennifer,

Actually I found that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one I have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help? Is there any negative effect if I downgrade the BIOS of the Dell laptop?

Best regards.

Actually I just find that different BIOS versions provide different USB enable/disable options. For my E6430 with BIOS version A16, it has no option to disable the USB 3.0 ports only. The same situation with yours. But for my boss, his Dell laptop with BIOS A11 shows an option in BIOS USB configuration->enable/disable USB 3.0 ports together with the one we have, enable/disable all external USB ports!

Do you think downgrading the BIOS can help?

1.2K Posts

June 19th, 2015 10:00

Hi Kevin,

To the left of the system we have USB 2.0 ports which can be used .There are  2 USB 3.0 ports to the right of the system which can be disconnected by un-installation of the driver .But after doing so probability of those 2 ports functioning as USB 2.0 are not certain .

Kind Regards ,

1 Message

January 30th, 2016 01:00

This did not answer the question.

I am also in the same situation now I searched for the disable USB 3.0 option in the BIOS but there is none. Any updates on this please? DELL Latitude E6230 

1 Message

April 7th, 2016 09:00

hello, I hope this answers your question. I was going having the same issue whilst trying to install windows 7 on my inspiron 5448. Well the solution had been suggested already. The usb port on the left is 2.0 whilst the port on the right is 3.0

Mantse-bi

No Events found!