Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2015 03:00

how to know if battery is fully charged? power from ac(power socket) and not from battery?

Hi! i recently bought an inspiron 11 3148.  I'm new to dell products. 

First question:

For my unit, when it is turned off and I plug it into a wall socket, i know there is a light blue light. But how do I know if it is fully charged and I need to unplug?

Second question:

I know my unit does not have detachable batteries. Is there a way such that my battery is fully charged, and my laptop is still plugged to the socket, but the power source is directly to the socket and not draining my battery? 

Please help me with my battery problems. Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum!

Here is a table which gives information on the power LED status:

Power / Battery LED State Interpretation
Solid White Power adapter is connected and the battery is being charged.
Solid Amber Battery charge is low or critical.
Off Computer is on and the battery is fully charged.
Off Computer is off or in hibernate mode, and the battery is not being charged.

Unfortunately, there is no way to direct the power consumption to the power adapter, when the battery is fully charged and still connected to the adapter. 

Hope that helps. Do let me know if you any other questions.

4 Posts

Thank you for your fast reply. knowing that I can't use power directly from the socket,  i am worried that I have to use my laptop plugged in and charging. isn't it bad for battery health?

4 Posts

Hi! thank you for your reply. I am concerned that if I can't consume directly from the power socket, I will always have to work with my computer while its battery is charging (when plugged).Is this bad for my battery and will it shorten my battery life span?

May 8th, 2015 10:00

Thank for your reply. 

The answer for that would be no. The battery has built in controls which stop the charging process when the battery is full. So keeping the computer plugged in wont effect the battery. However, it is recommended charge and discharge the battery. 

Here is a link which will provide you with more info on laptop battery: http://dell.to/1lEmT4P 

4 Posts

May 9th, 2015 03:00

Thanks, this has been very helpful

5.2K Posts

May 9th, 2015 19:00

Download BattStat and use it to monitor charging and discharging. You can see when it's fully charged when the charging power in amps drops to zero. This is a very useful tool.

No Events found!