Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2016 16:00

inspiron n4010 - 8 beeps with blank screen

I have encountered the "8 beeps on start up" problem. 

I've tried pressing "D" plus the power button to do the screen test which shows several solid colors flashing and then goes black after about 10 seconds. The power button stays lit but there are no "working" sounds coming from the computer. The fan runs lightly.

I've tried hooking up to an external monitor and there is no signal or display.

I've tried taking apart and reconnecting cables inside computer with no success.

Any other ideas? Could it be a hardware problem that I can replace myself?

Thanks in advance.

October 26th, 2016 15:00

Hi BryanM42

Thanks for writing to us.

Usually an 8 beep points either to the LCD or to the video card i.e. motherboard.

But as you mentioned the LCD test has passed with solid flashing colors looks like the screen is fine.

As there is no display on an external screen looks like the motherboard to be faulty.

May I know if this issue is intermittent or happens every time you power on the computer?

Do let us know if you wish to know the part# for the motherboard.

Do provide us the system tag# and also confirm the name the system is registered under. Also we

need the contact number and email address.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the response.

It happens every time I power on the computer.

Yes, I would like to know the part # for the motherboard.

Am I able to save files if I switch out the motherboard?

Is there a way to back up the files with my current issue? Other than sending the computer in or taking it to an authorized service provider.

The Tag # is 3T5DYP1.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 28th, 2016 13:00

Backing up the files is a matter of removing the hard drive and connecting it to a working system.

Replacing the mainboard won't affect your files on the hard drive, but will cost $300 or more with labor -- you may want to consider replacing rather than repairing this system, due to its age and the cost of the repair (that will exceed 50% of that of a new system, and be warranted only 90 days at best vs. a full year with a new system).

2K Posts

October 28th, 2016 19:00

Hi BRYANM42,

If you wish to replace the parts yourself - this is the one you need - http://bit.ly/2dVirB3

You could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

However, I agree with ejn63. I would advise you to invest your money on a new machine than to repair this system. Again, that would be your discretion.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!