Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2017 11:00

installation of HDD in xps 15 9560

hello

I just bought an XPS 15 9560 with 56Wh battery. I do want to know that if I can install an internal HDD in it or not. if yes then what is the procedure? is there any fall in the performance of the laptop?

thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 27th, 2017 11:00

It depends on the original configuration -- does the system have an M.2 SSD now?  If so, and that is running in RAID mode, it'll need to be switched to AHCI (with either a registry edit or a reload of Windows thereafter).  If you try to run the drive in RAID mode, the hard drive won't be seen.

Other thing to check:  usually when systems are shipped with no 2.5" drive, the bracket and/or cable needed to mount a 2.5" drive isn't present - you may have some additional hardware to purchase.

489 Posts

October 27th, 2017 15:00

AFAIK all XPS 15 as RAID, where the Intel RST driver is in charge of the SSD. The SSDs may be switched to AHCI (that is, the RAID controller turned off), then the SSD is driven by the MS NVMe driver, which may in turn be replaced by a factory NVMe driver, which may perform better, however this is not supported officially. In stock HDD configurations, RAID is used in a particular ISR configuration with a 32GB SSD used as cache. This should not be used when running the SSD and the HDD separately. Check the relevant sticky thread.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for your response. I checked the hardware configuration and it has a PCLe SSD. is this ok? and actually, i am not from IT background, so the procedure u explained in your comment is not completely understood by me. if possible plz attach a video link on how to do it.

4 Posts

October 28th, 2017 07:00

which type of connector I should use to connect the HDD to HDD port in Dell.here I am attaching a pic of HDD port.

No Events found!