Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 27th, 2017 04:00

latitude d630

I am trying to help my mate with his dell D630 laptop. its got windows 7 home premium installed on it

but its never been updated, and when you try to run  windows update it just hangs there.

I have run windows update trouble shooter and it said problems installing recent updates.

then I run sfc /scannow and that said no issues found, and when trying to install dell system detect and 

dell support assist unable to install system needs reformat.

I will have to down load a copy of windows 7 home premium we do not have a disc with it on.

where can I get the instructions from for do a system reformat and installing dell support assist.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2017 05:00

You may not need to reinstall. If it has never had updates, it need to have SP1 installed first:

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-7-install-service-pack-1-sp1

Then install the post-SP1 rollup update:

support.microsoft.com/.../convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Both of these can be downloaded and installed offline.  They're large, but can be transferred to a flash drive for installation on the system.

After that, Windows Update will work again (until support for 7 ends in 2020).

19 Posts

July 27th, 2017 08:00

its got the service pack installed but i will have to get some one else to install the sp1 rollup

i dont want to make a mistake, but thanks for reply

No Events found!