Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2012 18:00

my laptop screen blacks out

i dont have much time to write this as my battery will die any minuitre but heres the basics;

im not sure what laptop i have but i THINK its a D350

its a buisness type and runs on vista

basicly my screen has been a bit weird lately and a certain section was blacking out but this morning the whole screen has gone a really dark black and its really hard to see the screen, if i turn the laptop off, unplug the charger and turn it back on, i can see the screen perfectly but as soon as the chargers plugged in it goes dark again, ive checked the button on the battery to make sure its charging and it is, i tried the charger in my step dads laptop and it works fine. since i had the black screen when i turn the laptop on the lock with the number 9 is always lit up. i need to fix this as soon as possible as all my college coursework is on here and i dont have enough time before the laptop dies to copy the last file to a memory stick as its 6.8 gb. please help!

42 Posts

June 28th, 2012 19:00

Check your power saving options. It is possible that the option set when you plugged in your laptop or currently using your battery, the screen dims for power saving purposes. You can check this under Power Options. You can search it via Windows search bar.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2012 19:00

If you can get an image on an external monitor that's OK, it may be the backlight -- in which case you will need a new screen.  If both go black, you've likely a bad system board.

3 Posts

June 29th, 2012 09:00

It shows up perfectly on my tv, which is making me wonder if it is the screen but if it is then it's a bit weird how it works fine with out the charger

2 Posts

June 29th, 2012 10:00

Have you tried pulling the battery out then plugging in the power cord and turning the laptop on? (if you do this, make sure your laptop is off before you remove the battery) That has helped me with a couple of power problems. Your back light setting might be set to low when plugged in. Monitor might be bad. Could be the system board.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Try another Dell adapter - if that doesn't solve the problem, the issue is very likely with the system board.

3 Posts

ive tried most things, ive tried leaving the battery out for the night, ive tried having it turnt on just by the charger, ive tried different chargers so i guess its just the system board :/ all the brightness settings and power options are set to the max

No Events found!