Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 26th, 2009 17:00

need recovery and partitioning disk for inspiron 1525

I have an Inspiron 1525 laptop. I want to restore it to the original factory conditions, including the disk partitioning. I currently have just one partition. The recovery and MediaDirect partitions are gone. Everything on the disk is backed up several times. My understanding is that when I first got the computer I should have made the disk that would allow me to restore to factory conditions. I did not do that. I have a disk to reinstall Vista and MediaDirect. I need one that sets up the hard drive with the correct partitions and installs the recovery partition. My warranty expired a month ago. I called tech support and got some guy in India who said it would cost me $49 just to ask someone in tech support how much it would cost to buy a recovery disk. I tried live chat, but that won't work because my warranty is expired. Anyone know how I can obtain the disk I want? Does anyone have it who can zip it and email it to me, or upload it somewhere so I can download it? Thanks.

Cameron

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 26th, 2009 17:00

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

2 Posts

March 27th, 2009 00:00

Thank you for that link. However, I tried it and found that I cannot order the free replacement disks because my warranty expired a month ago. I can't find out how much it costs to buy the disks unless I pay $49 to talk to a tech support person and ask him the price. It's crazy. Does anyone have the disk that will partition the hard drive and install the recovery partition that they can share with me?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 27th, 2009 05:00

There is no such disc, even from Dell - you would need to manually install Windows and Media Direct.  If you want a recovery partition, you'd need to purchase a copy of Symantec Ghost (or Acronis TrueImage) if you use XP, or use ImageX (downloadable from MS) for Vista.

No Events found!