Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2013 21:00

number keys not working on Dell Inspiron 3521

my letter keys work and the number keys that run along the top of the letter keys are working too, but the number keys to the side are not working at all, i have push the number lock on and off many times and it makes a sound but all it does when ever i try the numbers out is make the page go up or down or highlight whatever is already typed before it.

i looked to see if there was any post that has the answer to the issue and from them i have tried fn+f3 and alt+shift+numlk but it didn't work,

December 6th, 2013 12:00

never mind found out what it was i had "use numeric keypad to move mouse around the screen" in the Ease of Access mouse setting on, just had to turn it off and i was good to go

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

December 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi mjlovebug2012,

Please uninstall the keyboard in device manager. Follow the steps below.

Start > in search box type in device manager > in device manager page under the keyboard > select the device right click on it and click on uninstall > you will get a popup window do not check that box click ok> restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

In addition clean the keyboard using the can of compressed air, also try connecting an external keyboard and check if the issue reoccurs.

December 6th, 2013 12:00

can you  tell me how this will fix it. I'm kind of worried about uninstalling my main keyboard, i don't want to end up not being able to use the keyboard at all. i don't have a air can,which I'm sure the computer doesn't need it, since i only got it about a month ago and it hasn't had food or anything around it and i did use the external keyboard like you said and it does the some thing, it will do the numbers along the top,but not the ones on the side.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

December 6th, 2013 23:00

Hi mjlovebug2012,

I am glad to hear that the issue is resolved, in case you have any issues in future please post it in this link or start a new thread.

1 Message

September 13th, 2015 22:00

Thank you.  I couldn't figure out how to get my numeric keypad to work either and your fix was what I needed to do to make it work.

1 Message

March 5th, 2016 08:00

Wow, this is amazing. After more than an hour with some indian guy in tech support, the solution that was given to me was to replace my laptop keyboard. Nevermind the fact that I literally just purchased this a week ago and received it 3 days ago. So after all of that nonsense with restarting my computer 4 times thanks to this worthless tech support guy, I go online and find this response about changing the ease of use settings for the mouse and BOOM! now my num pad on my Inspiron laptop works perfectly. 

July 17th, 2016 10:00

I am Having Dell inspiron 14R laptop. But laptop number keys except 5 and 6 are not working. how to rectify it?

1 Message

August 7th, 2016 10:00

Im aving te same problem, Seems to be a common one. Apparently Dell as no interest in resolving it for us.

Ive tried te driver uninstall, replaced te keyboard, noting works.

No Events found!