Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2012 19:00

power warning, battery's charge holds at 8% on Inspiron 1525

Hello all, The other night I went to plug in my Inspiron 1525 laptop, and I received the following warning upon restart: "The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best system performance. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter." From my inductive and deductive reasoning skills, I can determine that this problem can be caused by neither the motherboard nor the battery because the battery just got replaced last summer, and then last february, I got a brand new motherboard, so the fact that I've owned this computer for upward of three years would be irrelevant at this point since for all intents and purposes, it's two most critical parts aren't old at all. Now as it stands, the computer will run via electricity, but it will only get 8% battery. If anybody knows how to fix this, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to hold onto this guy at least till I graduate. Thanks all. Chrome

4.4K Posts

Dell AC adapters have 3 pins.

The outer layer is negative, the inner round one is positive and the needle pin is a feed back, this pin is connected to an E2PROM inside the AC adapter to ensure the main board and AC adapter are match.

A possible reason that you received that message is that the connection between the AC adapter and the main board ( needle pin) is lost for some reason. This happens if the power cord  has cut, or the the DC jack has a loose connection either inside the jack or on the main board. So you can inspect the AC adapter's cord for any cut or pinch, or check the main board and see if this pin is off or loose. If it is loose you can re-solder it and if the DC jack has a loose connection inside the the needle pin connection, add a piece of wire on it to make the contact.

Here is the end of the AC Adapter - the part that plugs into the computer.

I do believe you might have hit the nail on the head there.  I remember having to duck tape the cord where it connects to theportion going into the wall.  Maybe it succeed in severing after all? 

177 Posts

Some people on this board have posted similar complaints when using an aftermarket adapter. One poster discovered after market adapter came with two plugs that fit but only the one stamped "D"  works properly. I suppose a worn out  Dell adapter could be suspect also. Does the 8% battery have enough power operate BIOS interface? Good post Wolf.

February 5th, 2012 20:00

I suspect a bad adapter because of the tape I had to put on it and why I haad to do so.  The thing was about to sever, so I taped it, but I'm wondering if it severed anyway from being shoved into my laptop case and all, you know?  

177 Posts

February 5th, 2012 21:00

Don't know but if your not really handy w/ soldering iron I'd do some adapter shopping. If you delve into the  aftermarket make sure it is compatible.

No Events found!