Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2013 11:00

processor upgrade

hi , I have a inspiron1545 which has a celeron processor 585 @2.16 mhz (socket 478), however it runs a bit slow by todays standards & would like to know what ?, if possible, size I can safely go up to on the processor side to improve on the performance

Alex

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 20th, 2013 11:00

These CPUs shipped with the system:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200, T4300 or T4400 or Intel Core 2 Duo T4500, T6400, T6500, T6600, P7350, P7450.

While the CPU can be upgraded, don't expect miracles -- everything else in the system will remain the same.  If you're looking for an overall performance boost, a solid state drive is a better investment than any CPU upgrade.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 21st, 2013 06:00

No notebook manufacturer supports CPU upgrades - and no release of any notebook will have a list of future processor support;  there just aren't funds for testing each model notebook with newer CPUs.  It's rapidly becoming a moot point, though, as Intel phases out socketed CPUs in favor of BGA (soldered-in) CPUs -- which it has already done with most of the mainstream, consumer-level systems from ultrabook through the high-middle range of the market.

300-400 MHz may make a 10% overall boost - you may sense it, but it just won't be dramatic.

The solid state drive option will make far more of a difference than any CPU upgrade you can do, will.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2013 06:00

cheers EJN63 for input, however I am sure that the motherboards are not capable of covering all of the above cpu's, although I could be wrong. Its a shame that when the sytems are built that the range of processors the board is capable of handeling is not included within the documentation as is available when you purchase a boxed motherboard from other manufacturers :(  having maxed out on the memory side in trying to improve its performance ( in both size & speed) the next logical step is a bigger cpu, even an increase of only 300/400mhz would make a massive difference.

No Events found!