Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2015 19:00

"The AC Power adapter type cannot be determined...."

Please help! I am using the power adapter that came with the Inspiron 15 laptop. Why doesn't it recognize its own equipment? I just bought a new battery because I also had a message that the battery needed to be replaced. The plug is "inserted completely", and I am using the power adapter that came with the Inspiron 15 laptop. But the new battery is still not charging. Do I really need to buy a new, $60.00 cord? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, and please answer in layman's terms. Thank you!

184 Posts

May 16th, 2015 23:00

HiNontechish,

Thank you for reaching out to us here, we request you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and let us know of the outcome,

1. Please disconnect the battery and ac power adapter from the computer and please press and hold the power button for approximately 1 minute which releases all the static energy from the system and connect the battery and the ac power adapter back to the system and check if it helps.

2. If the above troubleshooting step doesn't help please go ahead and check if the ac power adapter is detected under BIOS, you could boot the system into BIOS by powering on the system and pressing F2 repeatedly and under the main screen please check if the ac power adapter type says unknown or if it says 65w/90w and let us know so that we could check and assist you further.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 16th, 2015 23:00

Hi Nontechish,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
  2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
  3. you will now be on the BIOS screen
  4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
  5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

No Events found!