Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2012 15:00

system board thermal trip when I put a second battery (slice) on dell latitude e6320

Hi,

I have a dell Latitude E6320 with the latest bios revision (A14). Since several weeks, when I put a second battery (slice), my computer shuts down automatically and I can't restart it if I don't detach the second battery.

I checked the second battery on other computers, no problem. I don't understand why suddenly I've got this problem, I didn't change bios and I've already used this second battery without any problem.

I runned all diagnostics tests, no problem detected.

Do you any information about that ?

Marion

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

Hi Marion,

I understand that second battery is working fine on the other computers. When you connect the second battery to your system there may be short circuit in the motherboard, because of this system is shutting down automatically. Therefore I think motherboard may be faulty. However you can try the steps below.

Switch off the system, and remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess flea power and try connecting the second battery and switch on your computer.

September 18th, 2012 13:00

Hi Senthil,

Thank you for your reply. I tried what you explained without success.

I noticed different behaviors : if I have my computer with the power cable and the ac adapter connected to the computer with the two batteries, all works fine. If I disconnect the power cable, the computer shuts off and doesn't want to restart. I have to connect the power cable or detach the second battery (slice). Finally, If I detach the first battery and keep only the slice without the power cable, it works ! 

At each time, when I restart the computer, I have the dell code error #M1004 corresponding to "system board thermal trip" according to logs of BIOS.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 21st, 2012 00:00

Hi Marion,

Based on your post, I understand the computer works fine with power cable and both batteries connected. However, the error #M1004 strongly indicates there might be an issue with the motherboard. However, there is also a possibility that the slice may be faulty.

You may need to replace the motherboard. I request you to private message me your system service tag number. To private message, accept my friend request, click on my user name and click start conversation. I can then check your system details to help you further.

September 21st, 2012 06:00

It's a professional computer from my research lab. I just wanted a diagnosis before return the computer to our IT support which manages repairs with DELL support.

Thank you for your help.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 22nd, 2012 00:00

Hi Marion,

Please run the PSA diagnostic test, it’s a quick test which will help us to identify the failure of critical component in your computer. To run the PSA diagnostic test please follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

Please make a note of any error codes listed if the test fails. You can also refer to the link below which has the entire error code description listed.

http://dell.to/i5zbDR

You can also run a thorough test in your computer which is called as 32 bit diagnostic. To run the 32 bit diagnostic you can refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/mLUUiF

Please make a note of any error codes listed if the test fails.

Do reply to this post for further assistance.

September 22nd, 2012 02:00

I ran these tests and there isn't problem. All tests passed.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 24th, 2012 05:00

Hi Marion,

As per the PSA diagnostic test result there seems to be no problem in the computer. However, I would suggest you to run the Dell Pc diagnostics. Please use the link below to run the Dell PC diagnostic.

http://dell.to/PQAV4Y

Use the above link and select the third option which is ‘component test’ and click on ‘Run Diagnostic’. Please let me know if there is any error codes listed.

No Events found!