Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2011 00:00

typing problem

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7.  About a week ago, the type started randomly  jumping back into previously typed areas of my sentences after every few words.  This happens in word processors and also  emails.  I am not brushing the touchpad.  I have read about others with the same problem, but have seen no satisfactory answer to the problem.  It is VERY annoying.  Anyone have a solution to this problem?

147 Posts

June 4th, 2011 12:00

I have a Inspiron 1525 that does the same thing and I ordered a replacement keyboard BUT have nor replaced it yet.  I a

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 6th, 2011 11:00

If you two have not already tried, I would look into the touchpad settings.  You can find them by looking up Mouse in control panel.  I would look for a setting to turn off the touchpad while typing.  If you are using an external keyboard / mouse then they may be a setting for disabling the touchpad altogether while the mouse and keyboard is connected.

If you don't seen anything about the touchpad at all in control panel, then I would look for all mouse and touchpad software installed in the system and uninstall it all.  Look for not only the Dell drivers but any possible drivers installed for an external mouse such as Logitech Mouseware or Microsoft Intelipoint software.  Then install the touchpad drivers.

Drivers for 1545

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Drivers for 1525

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

I hope that this helps

TB

147 Posts

June 8th, 2011 13:00

I believe you are right in that inadvertently touching the 'touch pad' is my problem and not the keyboard.  I am unable to find the sensitivity adjustment screen for my 'touch pad'.  Could you help with that?  Inspiron 1525 with WIN 7 PRO.  TIA

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 8th, 2011 14:00

Type Windows Mobility Center in the Start Box to find the setting to turn off the touchpad.

147 Posts

June 8th, 2011 16:00

That page on my laptop does NOT have a touch pad setting.

5.2K Posts

June 8th, 2011 21:00

You need to go to the MOUSE icon in the Control Panel. The pad is one of the options.

Sometimes the touchpad is so sensitive that you don't even need to touch it.

Try downloading TouchFreeze. This utility shuts down the pad when you begin typing and restarts it when you stop.

No Events found!