Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2015 15:00

volume control stuck on screen--not working--not adjustable, Inspiron 13 7000 series 2-in-1

I just buy a new laptop Inspiron 13 7000 series 2-in-1. It comes with Windows 8.1. It happened (not sure why) that the volume control is frozen at the top-left corner screen with the 0% volume level, so I can not adjust the volume at all both on the keyboard and on the touch screen. 

What I have tried is below

- In control panel, sound, communications: when Windows detects communications activity

Select "Do nothing" 

- uninstalled audio driver and leave it is automatically reinstalled after reboot

- uninstalled audio driver and install the audio driver downloaded from dell support

- do clean boot and uninstall-reinstall driver

It was resolved once when I tried pull off and push back the usb for the logitech wireless mouse. When the volume control got stuck on screen again, I tried this again but it does not help anymore.

Any suggestion please. Thank you.

Nuch

1 Message

February 16th, 2016 14:00

Thank you!  Had the exact same issue today.  Here is a pic of the cable and screw in question.

2 Posts

July 26th, 2015 05:00

Hi Nuch

Are you still having this problem?  Did you manage to resolve it?  I'm having the exact same issue.

2 Posts

July 27th, 2015 05:00

Hi Scumboss,

What I did was mute the volume and left it mute, so that the volume box disappeared from my screen. Obviously, I can work without that annoying box hung up on the screen, but can't use any multimedia at all...so annoying!!.

I also installed the driver for my logitech optical mouse even though it's been working fine without the driver installation because I have the feeling that the usb mouse connection is somewhat the cause. 

After a few weeks, I just tried to unmute it. It is working. The box is gone now. But, I'm not sure if the problem will happen again...the terrible thing from Dell. This is my the first  time for Dell and it will be only one...no more again.

Good luck for you.

Nuch

October 16th, 2015 11:00

I had the same issue.  It wasn't software related.  The cause / fix turned out to be a pinched cable or something in the laptop.  I noticed that when I took the bottom cover off, the issue went away.  Then, I put in each screw 1 by 1 and found that the side-middle screw (on the power and volume button side) was causing the issue.  I could also press down in that area and cause the volume to stick in the down position.  I just left that screw out.  I hope this helps someone.

December 14th, 2015 15:00

Thanks very much. I reported the same issue to Dell this evening and they were adamant that it was not hardware related! I had a faulty keyboard replaced about 2 weeks ago - which I reminded them about. I loosened the screw at the bottom of my laptop near the right hand speaker as you suggested and the on screen volume display disappeared and I can now turn the volume up and down again! Hurrah! The only problem is that the volume rocker at the RHS of my laptop is not working properly anymore. When I press the up part of the rocker button the volume goes down and vice versa. After praising Dell for a rapid response to replacing my faulty laptop's keyboard 2 weeks ago I am now left with a nasty taste in my mouth. I will contact them again and tell them my findings. I now remember that the technician who replaced my faulty keyboard commented that the volume rocker button is problematic after replacing the keyboard.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2015 00:00

My issue was hardware related.  Dell replaced the main board.

1 Message

May 11th, 2016 04:00

Many thanks for this fix, you can see in the copper cable where the cover had trapped the cable with the

2 in dents. I rerun the cable to avoid this happening again.  Replaced the cover and the volume up and down button is working perfectly.  I wonder how many of these laptops have the same issue.

January 5th, 2017 15:00

I have this problem. The volume and power keys seem to have sunk a little into the laptop. The volume is stuck in the "down" position. Not even removing every screw worked. I'm on Inspirion 7558 if that helps.

1 Message

January 29th, 2017 18:00

I am having the same problem...going on 2 weeks now.  Dell has uninstalled drivers and reinstalled drivers, replaced the keyboard....hours and hours of work.  The problem will be fixed then keeps coming back.  I removed the middle screw on the power and volume button side and it was immediately fixed.  But now the problem is back again.  UGH!

May 18th, 2017 17:00

Dell Inspiron 13 7352 - I had the same problem and did all the above with drives, then I noticed as More detonation did that the volume and power keys seemed slightly depressed.  I tried just loosening the screw-nothing changed, then I got some needle-nosed pliers and gently bent the depressed metal encasement around the two buttons and voila-worked.  It seems that the protruding buttons must get depressed easily, thereby locking the volume button in mute.  my daughter thought i was a genius.  Anyway, can't believe I wasted so much time.  

No Events found!