Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

GT

May 24th, 2014 01:00

vostro 5470 drivers concept

hello, please someone clarify to me why is there for vostro 5470 drivers two or more choices, with absolutely undisclosured names.. I mean for instance, there is network adapter drivers, and when I click on it, it expands list with 4 or 5 drivers with strange mumbo jumbo names.. those names gives nothing to me, there is no version or something clear to understand in names.. there is like "wV8766XX0s" e.t.c.

how one should distinguish, which drivers are proper or better to use ?

each hardware peripherial has at least 2 choices..  I even installed wrong one, some thing like "Wireless+Bluetooth R Technology.. "and that has no UNINSTALL option in control panel :(

pleaes clarity.. I know I can use service tag detection, but still.. I just want to select drivers myself, and dell shouldnt have done this in such a unclear way... thank you

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 24th, 2014 08:00

The list will contain all possible hardware drivers for your model and some will not be for your configuration. Check your Hardware Device Manager to see what hardware you actually have. You should always select the right drivers. Don't install anything in the list unless you check if you actually have the hardware--even if you use your service tag to check for drivers. Control panel does not have an uninstall driver feature. You must right click on the hardware in Device Manager and select update driver or uninstall driver. 

Laptops rarely need driver updates unless you have installed new hardware.Don't update just for the sake of updating. You can cause problems if you install the wrong drivers.

May 26th, 2014 04:00

oh really? I know that this list includes all possible drivers... but that's where i'm stucked ..

there is no clear names for drivers... for example in the network section there is some mumbo jumbo names..

and how one may distinguish which to install ?. in device manager there is only name of device, e.g. NVIDIA Geforce xxx.. but on website there is 3 combinations of nvidia geforce, 

for example , in network drivers there is 5 options and on one of them, there is description like NOTHING explained what's that for..

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=WV5X6&fileId=3300874435&osCode=W864&productCode=vostro-5470&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

where is here written what is this driver for ?

very bad and unclear driver page.. I'm getting confused for example what's that driver used for Smart Technology....

May 26th, 2014 04:00

furthermore.. ok.. lets suppose I guessed and chosed somehow Ethernet driver.. even when I click on download, there is appearing TWO MORE download options..

LOM_Realtek_W81_A00_Setup-0YG12_ZPE.exe  (7 MB)

Network_Driver_0YG12_WN_8.20.815.2013_A00.EXE  (13 MB)

and HOW I MUST GUESS WHICH IS WHAT FOR ? or WHICH IS better? or WHICH IS for me??????
No Events found!