Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2013 18:00

xps 15z battery not charging

Hi. I have a problem with charging the battery of my laptop xps 15z. I bought it last year, and the battery is no more than a year old, and until today it worked perfectly fine. When I plug in the adapter it says it is charging, but the battery status stays at 0%. I have tried restarting my laptop several times, but with no luck.
Does anyone here have a solution?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 15th, 2013 19:00

Hi MarianLarsen,

I am sorry for the inconvenience, please connect only the AC adapter and check if the system works? also check if the adapter is detected in the BIOS page. Follow the steps below.

Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the BIOS

Please ensure that you are able to see the headings ‘Main’ under the Main Tab check the ‘AC Adapter Type’ is 90w or 130w or none. In case the adapter is detected, connect a known good battery and check if the battery is charging. In case the AC adapter is not detected in BIOS connect a known good adapter and check if the battery is charging.

Let us know about the progress.

July 16th, 2013 08:00

I followed your advice.

The BIOS page found the 90w AC adapter.

I receive the message that the battery is working like normal, but it's not charging.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 17th, 2013 00:00

Hi MarianLarsen,

Please run the Dell PC diagnostics on battery using the link below.

http://dell.to/We70YO

In this link click on hardware >select battery and click on run diagnostics.

July 17th, 2013 09:00

The diagnostics doesn't work on my computer, so I can not tell you anything new.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 18th, 2013 04:00

Hi MarianLarsen,

Do you get any error message when you run the Dell PC diagnostics.  In case the Dell PC diagnostics does not run please reset the Internet explorer using the link below and then try running the test again.

http://dell.to/1au1UNH

July 18th, 2013 14:00

I got it to work now. the message after the test have run is: " battery life test failed."

Marian

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

July 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi MarianLarsen,

This may be an issue with the battery consider replacing it.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Here's how it's done;  you can evaluate whether to do it yourself.

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Is it possible for me to change the battery, or do I have to send my laptop back to Dell for service?

No Events found!