Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2012 17:00

9400/1705 Power Up Problem

Have a 9400, when you press the start button, the power light comes on and the HDD led comes on for about 1 to 2 seconds, then goes blank. It does this over and over. Please Help!!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Remove the battery and unplug the system.  Remove and reinstall both memory modules - does that get system going?

46 Posts

Hi Oil SC Man

Welcome to the Dell community. We understand your concern and will be glad to assist you. I would recommend you to follow these steps:

• Remove the battery and the adaptor from the system and hold the power button for 30 seconds and then turn on the system

• Run the hardware diagnostic by using a combination of ‘ Fn and power button ‘ or tap the F12 key on the dell logo screen and select diagnostics option. Observe and note any error code(s) or beep code(s) during the diagnostics

• Check for system LED flash codes above the keyboard

Please revert with observations

Sumer

Dell | Social Outreach Professional

2 Posts

July 16th, 2012 18:00

I think it did allow that, however the screen is destroyed and I cannot see anything, and it won't recognize the laptop with my dell desktop monitor.  It indicates it cannot read digitally although it used to be able to view from the desktop monitor. Yikes

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Remove the hard drive - will the system boot up to allow you into BIOS setup (f2 at powerup)?

2 Posts

Hello Sumer,

My computer dropped last night and now it won't power up. It looks as though it will, however then it beeps and only shows a blinking dash on the screen, not recognizing the system.  Is it a drive issue that was damaged from the floor crash or perhaps a battery issue.

Thank you,

Gr8tday!

4 Posts

July 16th, 2012 19:00

System will not even come on. Push start, power led and HDD led flash on and then off. Will do nothing else

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That likely means a bad mainboard - not worth replacing on a system this old.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Basically, given the age of the system and the description, repair makes no sense.  Start shopping for a  new notebook.

46 Posts

July 17th, 2012 15:00

Hi Oil SC Man

Welcome to the Dell community. I would recommend you to take out all the memory modules, optical drive, hard drive and wireless card from the system and then start it up. If the motherboard is fine then you should be getting the following LED flash code:

•  Number Lock Icon should be on

Caps Lock Icon  should be flashing

Scroll Lock Icon should be flashing

Let us know if you are getting any other flash code.

Please revert for assistance

Sumer

46 Posts

July 17th, 2012 16:00

Hi gr8tday

Welcome to the Dell community. We will be glad to assist you on this concern. I recommend trying these steps:

• Remove the battery and the adaptor and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

• Start your system and check for system beep code(s) and LED flash codes above the keyboard.

• Connect an external monitor to the system and use combination of Fn and F8 key to toggle the display.

• Try running on board diagnostics on the system by using a combination of Fn and power button or by going into the F12 menu and selecting diagnostics.

Please ensure that the hard drive is removed from the system prior to performing these steps.

Also would like to know whether the LCD is cracked or is it not displaying anything?

Please revert with observations.

Sumer

4 Posts

July 17th, 2012 18:00

I could not see the images in your reply about which LED should be doing what. Did all you said. The power led, and the first three led's starting with num lock flash on and then right back off.

46 Posts

July 21st, 2012 15:00

Hi Oil SC Man

Welcome to the Dell community. Apologize if you were unable to view the pictures. The LED status on your system signifies motherboard failure.

Glad to assist you

Thanks and Regards

Sumer

Dell Social Media Responder

http://twitter.com/DellCares

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

4 Posts

July 21st, 2012 17:00

Have a good MB that I replaced with the original one Sumer...did the same thing on the new one

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 21st, 2012 18:00

If the system has a discrete video card - particularly if it's an nVidia card, which are known to be fault-prone, if you have not replaced that, it's the next thing to replace.

No Events found!