Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2010 15:00

AC Adapter trouble

My AC Adapter is not charging?  I receive the following warning:  The AC Adapter type cannot be determined.  This will prevent optimal system performance.  It is not charging the battery.  Computer 14 months old, warranty out.  Is it the cord?  Battery?  Need help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

First thing to try is a new Dell adapter -- if that doesn't solve the problem, then the mainboard needs repair or replacement.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Post your computer model and OS when asking a question. Check the adapter by removing the battery and trying just the adapter. If it works, the battery needs replacing. If not it could be the adapter or the motherboard.

1 Message

March 1st, 2010 00:00

I have a Studio laptop and last night for the first time, out of the blue, I got the same message as the original post here. It works off the mains when the charger is plugged in, but says the battery isn't charging. We also have an Inspiron laptop and I tried the AC adapter from it but this will not charge the battery either. The little battery icon on the right of the keyboard, next to where you plug in the charger is flashing/flickering aswell all the time.

What does this mean? How much will it cost, and how do i go about getting it sorted?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2010 04:00

If you're seeing the same failure to recognize two different Dell adapters, then it's the mainboard that's the problem -- cost  to replace will run $400-500US or equivalent.  Repair may or may not be possible - that would run in the $150 range.

No Events found!