Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2011 08:00

Backlit Keyboard

Hey, I've just received my new XPS Dell 16 (Tag: ) and again I'm having issues with the keyboard lighting up. I have the selection to adjust the Keyboard Backlight whenever I go to the Windows Mobility Center on the touch pad. Are there any BIOS or something I can download to correct my issue?(I'm not very smart with computers, I'm just a kid). Also, I removed the little screen protector on the keyboard, I hope that had nothing to do with the lighting system..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 7th, 2011 10:00

xMink,

If your system is like mine, the F6 key, when pressed each time you'll get 3 different settings, bright, dim, off

You can check you setting at...

Start, control panel, Windows mobility center. If you click on the backlit icon, you can change the settings for different lenghts of time.

If your computer is new and not keeping these settings, then Contact Dell Technical Support

Rick

7 Posts

October 7th, 2011 22:00

so ur saying my only solution as of now is complaining to dell and getting them to send a new one...?

7 Posts

October 7th, 2011 22:00

sorry i shud hav included, my computer has all those settings, and F6 doesnt affect the keyboard wgen u press it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 8th, 2011 05:00

xMink,

Do you have those settings in the Windows Mobility Center?

Are you sure you have a backlit keyboard. Go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag number, click on original configuration. Look there for the backlit keyboard and see if it's on the list.

Rick

7 Posts

October 8th, 2011 21:00

i hav all of those options in the Customized by Dell Inc.

i looked into the keyboard stuff and i found this:

X38K3 Keyboard, 86, United States, English, C12S

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 9th, 2011 12:00

xMink,

You should see somethine like...

1 CVNYD

Module,Keyboard,86,US-INTL,Backlit,NC/NM

Rick

7 Posts

October 19th, 2011 08:00

I couldn't find anything related to CVNYD or backlit (I used 'Ctrl+F' to search for it) yet i hav the backlit options when i press the touch screen button...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 19th, 2011 17:00

xMink,

Do you see the settings in the Windows Mobility Center?

Rick

7 Posts

October 19th, 2011 20:00

yes, i said that ten days ago.

7 Posts

October 30th, 2011 11:00

Hello, my problem is yet to be fixed, i hav the same windows mobility window, with the customized by dell inc in the middle, and the backlit options at the bottom, yet it doesnt function...

3 Posts

December 26th, 2012 02:00

Hello, I have a similar issue:

The Windows Mobility Center, Waves Maxx and Dell Instant Launch Manager buttons as well as the keyboard backlight are not working anymore.

I tried the different quickset versions, but it didn't fix the issue.

I'm on W7, please let me know if you have an idea.

Thanks

SamPost

April 11th, 2014 22:00

Okay, first of all, pop your keyboard off of your machine and look at the backside of it for the connector ribbons.  IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CABLE, YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACKLIT KEYBOARD.  Please verify and report back here.  If you need to know how to do that, search on YouTube keyboard removal of your model number.  You can have all the same software as an equipped machine, but if your machine LACKS the hardware, the software won't do ya diddly squat.  

No Events found!