Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2012 14:00

:^/ Could the XPS M1210 use an LED internal screen to replace the LCD one?

:^/ For nearly two years, now, my Dell XPS M1210 laptop has been limping along with an dimmer screen than when I first bought it.  Also, the brightness adjustment isn't linear, either.  I suspect that the inverter isn't producing the proper voltage, even though I've replaced it.

However, I've read of newer screens using LED's instead of CCFL backlight LCD's.  The colors are richer and brighter, and they use less power.  I'm curious whether anyone has replaced an aging LCD screen with an LED one?  Is this feasible?  Does Dell have it available?

;^) Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2012 14:00

No, LED was never available for this system, nor can you retrofit one.  Even if you make it fit (and it won't be easy to do that) the system will not recognize an LED-backlit display, nor is there a connector for the power to one on the mainboard of the 1210.

315 Posts

April 21st, 2012 15:00

:^/ Ejn63, that's what "backwards compatibility" means.  A 1963 Cadillac was never intended to use a 21st Century stereo system, but that doesn't mean it won't work.  Compact florescent light bulbs work perfectly in lamps that were engineered to use incandescent bulbs back in the day before florescent bulbs were invented.  Modern LED flashlight bulbs are designed to fit in flashlights that were designed for incandescent bulbs, as well.

The power for such a thing would be the same one the inverter uses, of course, if such a thing were to be done.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2012 15:00

LED screens work only in systems where the BIOS is coded to recognize them.  They will not work in systems that never shipped with them.

The connector for a converter is very different than the connection for an inverter.

Yes, LEDs can be designed to substitute for incandescent bulbs.  But you're not in for just a backlight change - you're asking for a complete change to an LCD panel never supported by your system.  It flat out will not work - even a subtle change from one panel to another with the same backlight type will result in an unusable screen.

Notebooks work ONLY with those LCD screens they're shipped with from the factory.  

315 Posts

April 21st, 2012 16:00

:^/ Ejn63, the screen I'm using now is not the one that shipped from the factory, yet it works well enough for most purposes.  It's just not as bright as it should be.

You've stated that "LED screens work only in systems where the BIOS is coded to recognize them."  One could as easily suggest that flat panel color HD TV's won't work with black and white NTSC video tapes on the VCR's we grew up with because the VCR's weren't engineered for 21st Century flat panel color HD TV's.

Your logic makes it clear to me that what I'm after is more advanced than your expertise, so I'll invite you to leave the thread to folks who have more experience in such things.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 21st, 2012 16:00

If it's not as bright as it should be, that's because the system doesn't properly recognize it.  Though it's clear you've made up your mind, go ahead and try an LED screen.

No Events found!