Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2013 20:00

Cpu Temerature after reflowing M5030

Hi guys, 

After the 7 beeps issue i had reflow my Dell Insiron M5030 using no-clean flux and an air gun.

Before reassembling the heatsink i have used Antec Formula 7 thermal compound and then when the boot issue was solved i still have some temperature problems. 

As you can see in the image above, my cpu temperature is oscillating between 62°C and 74°C. 

I was wondering weather this behaviour is normal or if the temperature is higher than it should be.

Thanks in advance

Matias Andreoli

• 

3.3K Posts

March 6th, 2013 23:00

Hi Matias Andreoli,

The temperature oscillating between 60 to 70 degrees Celsius is normal as along as the air vents are not blocked. Make sure the system is placed on a flat surface where there is good air circulation.

You have mentioned you are experiencing that the system is overheating. I would like to know if the system is very hot that you cannot touch it or if the system is just warm.  I would also like to know if the system is shutting down when the system overheats.

Revert for any further queries.

March 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi, 

Between the heat sink and the cpu there was always thermal compound. The pad I've mentioned was placed between the gpu and the heat sink. 

I would like to replace the pad. However, I don't know the correct thickness. If you can give me some advice on what pad I have to buy I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Matias Andreoli

Dear Sujatha K,

In response to your question, the system is warm and it doesn't turn off suddenly. 

The first time I put all the parts together it suddenly shut down after approximately 5 minutes. This was solved when after i realize I have forgot to replace the old thermal compound.

Another fact to take into account is that I have lost the original thermal pad placed in the gpu. I replace the pad adding thermal compound also to the gpu chip.

I'm concern because the cpu temperature reaches very fast to 74ºC even though i'm not demanding to the processor any difficult task.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Does the heatsink fit flush with the heat slug on the CPU?  If there was a pad there before, there may be a gap that thermal compound can't fill - in which case you'll see ineffective cooling.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi Matias Andreoli,

In this case you may have to take help from a local technician to know the thickness of the thermal pad.

April 27th, 2014 07:00

Or you can use a specialy designed thermal paste for thermal pad replacement like K5-PRO. You can find it here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261419411897

They also make a high viscocity flux for BGA reflow called Cs-flux

You can find this one here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390792468898

No Events found!