This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2017 01:00

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming (7567) + external monitor = (performance) problems

Hello,

few weeks ago, I have bought Dell 7567 in following configuration:

CPU:  Intel Core i7 7700 HQ

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

HDD: 1TB 5400rpm

Although the notebook seems to be powerful enough, I am having problems when it is connected to the external monitor (via HDMI, I have tried different monitors and cables):

1) When the notebook lid is closed (or the Windows Display settings is set to "External only"), Windows is very slow, all the animations are lagging. When both notebook screen and external monitor are on (set to "Duplicate"), everything is fine.

2) In games, I have a noticable FPS drop (up to 20 - 30 FPS in Witcher 3) when playing on external screen (even on "Duplicate" and "External Only" modes). I can have full FPS just when playing only on notebook screen.

I was not able to solve this problem (probably it's some bug in drivers from Intel). I have tried more different drivers (from Dell and also stock Nvidia/Intel) but without success. Currently I am using the latest ones from Dell website. 

I would be very happy if someone could help me to solve this problem as it drives me crazy to not be able to enjoy full (gaming) performance of this laptop.

13 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 09:00

Still no update? It seems that (graphics) driver-related problems are not uncommon to Inspiron 15 Gaming so I would expect at least some information from Dell.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 7th, 2017 11:00

I've got the same problem, and I looked into it to try to track down a solution. Supposedly, it's caused by the laptop automatically going into power saving mode when the laptop lid is closed. You should be able to fix this by disabling power saving mode in the BIOS, but I've been unable to find the setting myself. Meaning that this would require a BIOS update from Dell to fix.

13 Posts

October 7th, 2017 12:00

Hello, thank you for your response! I also did not manage to find the power saving feature in BIOS. However the problem is (nearly) identical even when the laptop lid is opened and the external monitor is connected ... so that's weird. Not sure if saving mode is the reason in this case. :/

4 Posts

October 12th, 2017 14:00

Hey, I have the same issue with 7566. Either way, the FPS drop drastically when an external Monitor is connected. Bios and Graphics driver are up to date. That is not what you want when buying a gaming laptop. I hope dell will investigate and fix this ASAP.

13 Posts

October 13th, 2017 01:00

Oh, I am glad I am not the only one with this problem! On the other hand, I feel sorry for you as I know how bad is that. And I absolutely agree with you on this, this problem is nothing you want to experience, especially on a gaming laptop. Anyway, I am also looking forward to seeing this problem fixed ASAP ... it can't be that difficult. When I decided to buy this notebook, I was like "It's DELL, that's gonna be great and well-functioning" so this is kind of disappointment. Hope they are searching for a fix yet!

PS: I tried newest Intel drivers about a week ago and they made everything even worse! When notebook display-only, the ntb display didn't even work for like 10 - 15 minutes, I had to do lots of restarts to make it work, this is so crazy.

7 Posts

October 24th, 2017 16:00

i have same issue toodid you find how to fix this?

7 Posts

October 24th, 2017 16:00

i have same issue too did you find how to fix this?

13 Posts

October 25th, 2017 09:00

Hello, unfortunately not! Tried a bunch of different things and the problem still persists.

13 Posts

October 25th, 2017 14:00

This solution does not work. :/ I still have a noticeable FPS drop compared to the screen 1 (i.e. notebook screen) only.

7 Posts

October 25th, 2017 14:00

go to windows display settings put multiple screen settings on screen 2 only

and play your game with maximum performance

1 Message

October 26th, 2017 03:00

Hello,

I have this problem on another laptop with hybrid graphics (Intel HD 630 + Nvidia GTX 1060).
Found this thread (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1016860/laptop-1070-external-monitor-stutter/) on Nvidia forum. It seems some other laptop brands are also affected by this problem.

Workarounds that work for me:
1. Kill "Desktop Windows Manager" process from task manager.
2. Disable/enable Intel graphics adapter from device manager.
3. Restart the system when only the external display is active.

The problem with display stuttering occurs every time I switch from the laptop display to an external display.

13 Posts

October 26th, 2017 04:00

Hello, thank you for your answer! I tried to do something similar – I completely uninstalled the Intel drivers and disabled their installation via gpedit. This seemed to help in such a way that the external display was fine, however, the notebook screen was stuttering. What's bad is the fact that those workarounds are just temporary and not suited for work. :/ Anyway, thank you for your advice – if I will be in a "gaming-only" session, I will try it for sure. I hope that the Nvidia/Dell/Microsoft ... whoever is responsible for this ... will fix this soon.

No Events found!