Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2012 03:00

Disabling Touchpad on Inspiron 4150

The left click button on my Touchpad is broken so I installed an external mouse.  However, when typing, the cursor jumps about, presumably because my hands are near the Touchpad.  I'd like to disable to Touchpad completely and just use the external, but when I try to do this in the control panel, it disables the external as well.  How can I disable the Touchpad and still have the external mouse work?

Thanks in advance.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 12:00

sludge7,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can boot into the bios and go to page 4. Then you can go down to the area that reads Pointing Device. From here you can disable the touchpad.

Pointing Device: can be set to Touch Pad-PS/2 Mouse, Serial Mouse or PS/2 Mouse. Serial mouse and PS/2 Mouse settings disable the onboard touchpad and pointing stick.

934 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 09:00

1.If Dell touchpad drivers are installed you should be able to disable the touchpad without affecting the external mouse-

the video below shows you how it works on an inspiron 1545

2.Regarding your broken touchpad key:

It is possible to remap that key,so that - for instance - the right ALT-key could be used  to function like the left  mouse or touchpad key.If you like to know how to do it  let me know.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 10:00

My mouse driver doesn't look anything like the one in the video -- I am running XP still!

Have thought about remapping the keys, but honestly, I don't mind using an external mouse as my laptop just sits on my table and I never take it anywhere where I need the portability of the Touchpad -- I really just want to disable it!

No Events found!