Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2017 19:00

Dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 on NVMe SSD - Dell Inspiron 7567

Hi All,

I received my Inspiron 7567 Laptop yesterday. It has 512 GB Toshiba NVMe SSD. Windows 10 is preloaded on the laptop. SATA is set to RAID 0 in the BIOS.

I downloaded and created a bootable usb drive for Ubuntu 17.04 using Rufus. Tried installing Ubuntu from usb. Laptop didn't detect the usb. Disabled the secure boot and changed the SATA to ACHI in the Bios. After this, I was able to install Ubuntu 17.04 along with Windows 10 in the free space of 30 GB which was created by shrinking the C drive.

But after ubuntu installation was completed, I was able to login into Ubuntu when as SATA is set to ACHI. But Windows 10 failed with error "no bootable device found". I changed the SATA to RAID 0, then Ubuntu 17.04 doesn't load.

I restored the laptop to factory setting. Still the Ubuntu Grub remains in the system. Currently I have changed the boot order to 'Windows boot manager' in boot sequence. I am able to login into Windows 10 successfully. 

I would like guidance on setting up Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 in dual boot mode. I already have a working Inspiron 5520 laptop which has Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 in dual boot mode. But it has HDD. 

I never knew I will run into issues (dual boot) while ordering NVMe SSD. Any help/guidance in this matter is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Joseph M

June 1st, 2017 18:00

Hi All,

I was able to make it work! The Windows 10 should be modified to enable the AHCI for dual boot.

Here are the steps which I took to enable the dual boot of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.04 on SATA mode set to AHCI on NVMe SSD (Toshiba)-

Created the Windows 10 local account before proceeding with the steps below

Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup (the key to press varies between systems). On Dell Inspiron it is F2.

Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID.

Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.

Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).

Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

Later installed the Ubuntu 17.04 from bootable usb by changing the boot sequence and disabling the secure boot option in BIOS. It worked like a charm.

Regards,

Joseph M

13 Posts

August 21st, 2017 06:00

Hello !  can you give me the software named True color. After reinstalling windows my app gone and dont find it online. Please any one give me link or  sent it to me.

email : 

No Events found!