Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 26th, 2017 06:00

How to factory restore Dell XPS 9560? Restore Images don't appear to do that...

Hello,

I've tried two different approaches with regards to completely factory restoring the laptop back to how it was out of the box. 

1)  When the laptop was new, I immediately made a recovery image using the dell utility - this resulted in a USB thumb drive that was called "Recovery" - using this thumbdrive restored windows and the dell drivers but does not appear to truly but the laptop back to factory state.  As an example, the default wallpaper doesn't match what it was out of the box, instead its a windows default background.   There's a few other things that doesn't match how it was when brand new and out of the box.

2)  I downloaded a rather large ISO file off the Dell Support site, used the Dell utility and copied it to a USB thumb stick.   Same thing, it doesn't appear to truly return the machine back to how it was out of the box (Dell wallpaper isn't present, Dell utilities aren't present).

Is there something wrong with the factory restore images or am I not doing something correctly?  According to support, these images will "return it exactly to how it was out of the box" - doesn't appear its really doing that.

Thanks!

2K Posts

May 26th, 2017 23:00

Hi THEPREZ,

Did you download the ISO image from the support site based on the service tag or in generic based on the system model?

The restore image will be updated periodically as and when required, however, still preserving the base image and required essential drivers. It will not necessarily contain every driver / application / utility available for the model.

Hence, you might notice the change in wallpaper / basic utilities available. I have personally tested this on various machines at our Lab.

You could download and install the required drivers manually from the support site or run a command update if required.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 4th, 2017 10:00

Rishi, just to let you know, I just recovered my 9365 using the downloaded image from my Service Tag.  It installed a basic configuration and even a different drive partition scheme.  It also was still showing the 1511 build, which is what came originally on the system.

I am wondering if using a larger USB drive would allow a more inclusive version of the .iso to be downloaded.  I used an 8 GB drive so I might try a larger one to see if there is a difference.

I do know, if you have one of the later Win 10 installs, you can get back to a factory configuration using the Win 10 recovery media.

2K Posts

June 4th, 2017 21:00

Hi SALTGRASS,

The ISO file available on the cloud, as you know, is specific to a machine based on the tag. However, the image available for the tag is one file. Even if you use a larger USB drive, the image being downloaded is essentially the same. Tested and confirmed on few tags. 

No Events found!