Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2015 19:00

No sound when headphone is plugged into audio jack

When I plugged in the headphone into the audio jack, there is no sound.  The sound is coming from the internal speakers.  I just installed System Mechanic and ran a system analysis.  I don't know if the registry was changed or what.  There is not a problem with the headphone; I tried another headphone and have the same problem.  The laptop detects the headphone, an icon shows in the Notifications area saying a device was plugged in.

Inspiron 15 series 3543

Realtek HD Audio Device

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 13th, 2015 20:00

Hello. See if it will work when you switch from the Realtel driver to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.

[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

4 Posts

July 16th, 2015 06:00

i have purchased a new laptop inspiron 3543 

its not problem with hardware or software 

its just that inspiron supports only specific port/type earphone with it 

i want to buy one too but i dk which one to buy haha 

54 Posts

July 27th, 2015 16:00

Problem solved.  Thanks!

August 2nd, 2015 17:00

I tried it and it didnt work? I have Windows 8.1 and I live chatted with Dell Support and they said its a jack problem..

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 05:00

I tried it and it didnt work? I have Windows 8.1 and I live chatted with Dell Support and they said its a jack problem..

Did it ever work? If it worked when the laptop was new but no longer works, you can find out for sure if it is a hardware problem by performing a system recovery (return the laptop back to its original factory configuration.) If doing that does not fix it then it is hardware failure.

However if it doesn't work now with either the vendor's driver or the Windows native driver and if you have tried it with several headphones, then it probably is hardware failure.

1 Message

March 30th, 2016 14:00

I get stuck at step 2. Once I right click on Realtek High Definition Audio "update driver software" is not an option.

Help please!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 30th, 2016 20:00

I get stuck at step 2.

The other way to switch to the native audio driver is to remove all of the Realtek driver files.

1. Open the Device Manager

2. Expand the Sound, Video & Game Controllers section.

3. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall.

4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.

5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the native driver.

[The reason you might have to go through the process more than once is because the driver files for more than one Realtek driver could be on the hard drive. When a Realtek driver is removed, the next one gets installed if Windows can locate the files. Windows installs its generic driver only after all Realtek files have been removed.]

No Events found!